Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shading of Lens from Sun and Reflections

Shading of Lens from Sun and Reflections

Hi All,

I am trying to decide which is the best and possibly lightest, and most practical way (s) of shading my lenses in the field for transparency shooting with my Linhof Technikardan 45S and my Toho Shimo FC-45X from Sunlight and reflections. Presently I am using the Cokin P holder system as I have tried to keep all of my field lens filter sizes to 77mm or smaller. My present lenses include focal lengths of 75mm, 90mm, 120mm, 150mm, 210mm, 240mm (Apo Ronar MC), 300mm (Apo Ronar MC), 360mm (Apo Ronar), 450mm (Fuji C with 105mm Extension), 500mm and 720mm (Nikon ED T).

I have in the past generally been fortunate and have worked carefully without any or little lens shading. I do have the Linhof Compendium shade which can only be used on the Technikardan 45S but it is seldom used.

I have one of the double clamps from Calumet (similar and not as long as my Ebony Lens Shade Clip [which can be mounted on the Linhof but not the Toho]) which can clamp to the camera standard. Either of these clamps can be clamped to a Dark Slide to act as a shade. With this option the Calumet clamp is not long enough to shade the 450mm lens on the 105mm of extension or the Nikon 500mm and 720mm lenses.

I also have 2 of the Heliopan hoods- one a short metal hood (about 3/4" long) and a collapsing rubber hood also about 3/4" when extended. The 2 hoods screw together for about 1 3/4" of hood; the 2 hoods have a 77mm thread size. Presently, I have step up rings for my 43mm to 49mm, 49mm to 77mm, 58mm to 77mm and 67mm to 77mm made by Heliopan. The only step up ring for my lenses that I would presently require would be the Heliopan 52mm to 77mm.

Another consideration is the usage of the Cokin P Holder for all of the lenses when not using the lenses alone with only the UV filters. I have all of the proper adapter rings to use my lenses with the Cokin P Holder. I would be using the following P sized filters individually or as 2 or very infrequently 3 together: Singh-Ray Warming Circular Polaring Filter, Singh-Ray LB Enhancing Filter, Singh-Ray A13 Warming Filter, Singh-Ray Grad ND filters (different grades and hardnesses), Lee Coral Stripe, Lee Sunset Filter, Lee Coral Grad Filter. I am considering the Purchase of the Lee Pro Hood for Cokin "P" Series Filter Holder.

The link to the B & H listing for the Lee Pro Hood is below:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

I would appreciate any suggestions and insight as to what is the best plan of action. I know nothing solves everything.

Rich
    Last edited by naturephoto1; 22-Feb-2007 at 09:49.
    Richard A. Nelridge

http://www.nelridge.com

Re: Shading of Lens from Sun and Reflections

I know it's not for everyone, but I've had good luck just using the pulled darkslide to shade the lens. The trick is, apparently, to create the minimal shadow necessary -- so you just cover the filter threads. That way you minimize the possibility of the darkslide showing up on your film.

The reasons I don't use things like compendium lens shades are weight (I'm a backpacker), setup time, and that I very seldom shoot towards the sun.

Bruce Watson

The Linhof compendium shade that you already own is probably as good as anything else for your Technikardan, I don't know anything about the Toho. As I'm sure you've discovered, it isn't real convenient to use but I don't know of anything as good that's significantly more convenient. I've used a Lee shade, perhaps not the same one shown in your link. The one I used was a little more convenient than the Linhof compendium because it screwed onto the lens like a filter but it required a different adapter for each different lens filter size, plus it was so big that with some lenses it bumped into the camera bed and so couldn't be screwed on with the lens on the camera.

I've always understood that those little round shades sold with 35mm lenses or the similar rubber shades that screw onto lenses are pretty much useless. I think you need something rectangular like the film, something that can be adjusted to achieve the optimum length before vignetting, and something that can track the front movements of a large format camera. That pretty much describes the Linhof compendium shade (and maybe others, the only ones I've used are the Linhof and the Lee).
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    I know it's not for everyone, but I've had good luck just using the pulled darkslide to shade the lens. The trick is, apparently, to create the minimal shadow necessary -- so you just cover the filter threads. That way you minimize the possibility of the darkslide showing up on your film.

The reasons I don't use things like compendium lens shades are weight (I'm a backpacker), setup time, and that I very seldom shoot towards the sun.
    Hi Bruce,

That is kind of my thinking as well and I too seldom shoot into the sun. Certainly weight does become an issue. I have used something like a Gray Card as a Shade in the past myself, but even carrying a separate Dark Slide is a light option (I am shooting with a Kodak Readyload Holder and Fuji Quickload Film).

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

http://www.nelridge.com

Quote Originally Posted by naturephoto1 View Post
    I have used something like a Gray Card as a Shade in the past myself, but even carrying a separate Dark Slide is a light option (I am shooting with a Kodak Readyload Holder and Fuji Quickload Film).
    When I'm shooting readyloads, I tend to use my hat to shade the lens. Sometimes all it takes is standing in the right place and tilting my head just so... ;-)

Bruce Watson

These guys covered the subject pretty well...why do you think you never see photos of the old photographers without a hat on!!! I normally use a hat, a darkslide, or the shadow of my head or hand.

I use my hat, but if you want to get high-tech about this a piece of that heavy foil thats black on one side can be formed into a lens shade that'll fit about any lens
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

There is a recent discussion about lens shading here:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ght=lens+shade

Robert Zeichner came up with good idea and wrote an article for Photo Techniques thats in the current issue. Its discussed in the above thread. I'm inclined to build/modify something like this. I've been using black cinefoil and tape but its not as easy to control precisely as nice little barn doors on hinges.

Rich,

I have two of those Lee shades. One that fits the standard Lee holder, and one with a built in slot (in the back). The one you have attached isn't a good picture of how it works - it shows the front of the shade, the filters are designed to go behind the shade. The slot on the front is for one of those type of cheap polyester filters.

The Lee shade works quite well, the bellows is stiff enough that they stay in place once set. However, the one you show doesn't work well with wide angle lenses. There is a wide angle version (not sure if it works on the Cokin or not), but it doesn't work well on a camera with a flatboard (like the Toyo or Tachihara).

Using your hand, a dark-slide etc. is fine for shading the lens from direct sunlight but that's all it does. The days when you really need a good shade aren't days when sun light is striking the the lens, that's easy to deal with. You need a good shade on those bright/cloudy days when extraneous light is striking the lens from all directions. If your hand, dark slides, etc. were an adequate substitute for a good shade then nobody would be making and selling good shades.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.