Thread: Lighting Books for Still Life & Portraits

Lighting Books for Still Life & Portraits

Hello,

I am Looking for a really good book on still life and specifically lighting for this situation also any recomendations for portrait lighting would be of interest also. A book with simple effective ideas and keeping equipment basic and inexpensive.

Thanks Gerry

Re: Lighting Books for Still Life & Portraits

Light Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting by Fil Hunter and Paul Faqua. This book gives many excellent examples of lighting set-ups for all kinds of still lifes and portraits. Additionally, it explains simply and effectively the theory behind each set-up so that the knowledge gained can be applied to any lighting situation one may encounter. A thorough, excellent and easy to read book, highly recommended. It is all b/w, no fancy or slick model shots, just lots of useful information, diagrams and illustrative photos.

I like Ross Lowel's Matters of Light & Depth because it desribes lighting from a cinematographer's point of view rather than how many commercial photographers tend to do it (i.e. hang a big Chimera light box overhead and blast everything with strobe). It is a practical book for beginners and experts.

http://www.lowel.com/book.html

Many of the common photo lighting books just want to sell you some crappy light box or strobes or other such junk. But the book Ron suggests looks pretty good in the Amazon preview.

Working with a constant light source instead of strobe is a really much faster and easier way to learn, along with a digital SLR camera or a truckload of free Polaroid film.

Next to doing it, the best education is to thumb through a fashion magazine with a good photographer and have them explain the lighting set-ups for each shot. Reverse engineering good photos is a great way to learn.

Really, a hot light and a few foam core boards are all you need to start -- and you can make some great photos with just that. Don't get sucked into think you need $5000 worth of ProFoto strobes just to make a picture.
    Last edited by Frank Petronio; 22-Oct-2006 at 20:00.

I would also suggest Pictorial lighting By William Mortensen. It may not be currently in print but copies can be found.

Old Kodak books.

Hey Ron Marshall,

Thanks for your good review, I have ordered the Light Science and Magic from Amazon and it should be here Fri. Checked it out on the web and it looks likeit will answer all my questions and more. Thanks again Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Harrison View Post
    Hey Ron Marshall,

Thanks for your good review, I have ordered the Light Science and Magic from Amazon and it should be here Fri. Checked it out on the web and it looks likeit will answer all my questions and more. Thanks again Gerry
    It is the first lighting book, of many, I have read that explains the theory behind lighting instead of just prescribing a lighting set-up.

I hope you enjoy it!