Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linhof Master Technika conversion

Linhof Master Technika conversion

Does anyone know if it is possible to replace the range finder on a new Master Technika with what appears to be a cover plate from a Technika 2000? If so, would I order it from Marflex (I guess I could call them)?

Re: Linhof Master Technika conversion

252 652-4401 but you will not save much space or weight but will greatly reduce the value of the camera for resale.

I removed the rangefinder on my Tech IV and covered the holes with black gaffers tape. I'm not reselling so that was not a concern.

I have a Linhof MT that Marflex did the conversion for. They removed the rangefinder and replaced it with a plate. I would suggest you let them do it, they did a beautiful job and you would never know anything was done.

Messing with a Linhof is like desecrating the flag.

If Marflex does it, they can also remove the cam shoe assembly and arm that connects it to the rangefinder saving an extra ounce or two, but for the money you could have one of your lenses cammed and really enjoy the benefit of shooting a Technika. I use the rangefinder all the time. When I need to save weight, I use a Gowland PocketView.

I had an old Tech IV that I removed the broken RF from, then I epoxied a thin sheet of aluminum stock over the holes. It was a $500 camera and I think I made it better -- patching it up with a new backing material from cameraleather.com made it look pretty decent. But geez, I wouldn't do that with a newer $3500 plus camera.

Mike Lewis

I have a Tech V with the rangefinder, which I currently don't use (the rangerfinder, that is). I have not really considered having lenses cammed, but if David recommends it I'd like to hear more from him and/or others on the advantages of using the rangefinder on a Technika, vis-a-vis using the groundglass. Thanks.
    Mike Lewis
    mikelewisimages.com

The rangefinder really expands what you can do. First - it lets you shoot handheld. There are some times and places where that is useful. Second, it lets you work quickly in places where you might not want to be under a darkcloth - urban settings or places where you might lose your balance or have to keep an eye out for vermin. Third, you can focus in places where the gg is a real pain, either because of low light or inconvenient positiong. Fourth, you can really catch that fleeting light.

To me the whole beauty of the camera is that I have the choice of using the rangefinder, scale focusing or the ground glass. I would never want to eliminate one of those options. And if one is going to lug around a heavy metal camera anyway, the extra weight makes very little difference.
    Last edited by Charles Hohenstein; 19-Oct-2006 at 19:38.