Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Silly money for 90 Angulon...

Silly money for 90 Angulon...

I'm blown away... maybe I should sell my newer 90Angulon... if I could get this much money... Hmmm... with this much silly money laying around... I wonder how much I could get for a really nice recently CLA'd 21cm Heliar...
    Last edited by Christopher Perez; 11-Oct-2006 at 15:43.

Re: Silly money for 90 Angulon...

Wow, $390 is indeed a good price for an Angulon. It is a Linhof select in mint condition and came with a Tech board so that helps explain a little bit of it. Your comparison article with the 110mm SSXL also probably didn't hurt Angulon values either.

I sold my Angulon for $125, but it wasn't nearly as pretty.

Now don't tell me you're thinking of ditching the 21cm Heliar! I know you have a collection of 210mm lenses, but I think that's one sale you'd regret.

Loaning it to me on the other hand, sounds much more reasonable....

That is a clean one with a late serial number. And I got $375 for mine with a 8 million # and a nice recessed Linhof board with a Gepe release adaptor (it was the best 90 Angulon of all time IMHO).

But I would only PAY $200 or so for one ;-)

Well, don't smack me silly for saying this but these commonly go for less than $125, mint or nearly mint. You should see mine (and I won't tell you what I paid for it), it's a real 'beaut in recent Compur shutter.

I must be a money pinching cheapskate. Or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    ... I would only PAY $200 or so for one ;-)
    Last edited by Christopher Perez; 11-Oct-2006 at 19:59.

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

Ouch. I had trouble selling my Angulon this past year for $200 Cdn, and it was a later model Lindhof one too, and the shutter had been CLA'd only three years before hand. Go figure?

joe
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?

It may seem like a lot of money for that lens, but the same buyer recently also bought a Linhof Super Technika that was described as, "In like-new condition, clean as a pin, all original and apparently barely used." Maybe he/she is trying to assemble a museum-quality kit? He/she has also bought several prints from other photographers; maybe it really is for a museum? The point I'm trying to make, is that there are sometimes good reasons for paying more than the going rate.

I try not to get too excited about how much other folks are willing to pay. I might be the seller someday. In fact, I have been. I once bought a filter for the going price of around $30, which I later ebay'ed for over $150. BTW, the buyer was delighted to have that filter at that price. Win-win. Woo hoo.

A wise man once told me, "When you buy something at an auction, you'll always have the satisfaction of knowing that you paid more for it than anyone else thought it was worth."

Confidently Agnostic!

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph O'Neil View Post
    Ouch. I had trouble selling my Angulon this past year for $200 Cdn, and it was a later model Lindhof one too, and the shutter had been CLA'd only three years before hand. Go figure?

joe
    I haven't had much luck on ebay either. Maybe people don't trust Canadian sellers (afraid of all that dripping whale fat from the lamps we use to light and heat our homes I guess).

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Perez View Post
    Well, don't smack me silly for saying this but these commonly go for less than $125, mint or nearly mint. You should see mine (and I won't tell you what I paid for it), it's a real 'beaut in recent Compur shutter.

I must be a money pinching cheapskate. Or something.
    Hi Chris:

At my age there is one thing I can tell you for sure -- and that is that things change

You can get reasonable copies for $125-ish, but not really clean ones -- and Linhoff-badged versions are almost double the regular copies. I recently paid $239 for a very clean Linhoff-branded copy. I had watched for one for about 6 months, had been bidding ~ $200 on snipes for coated, very clean, Linhoff-badged versions, chrome or black shutter; I bid on 6 and never won one! Finally, out of frustration, I bit the bullet and bought my last one -- chrome Linhoff shutter -- at $239 on a Buy-It-Now. FWIW, the black shutter versions seem to go for ~ 30% more! Yes, I overpaid by maybe 20-25%, but at least I got lucky and did get a really sharp one with mint glass. Even more surprisingly, the color-cast is almost identical to my other Schneider lenses(!)

Have you priced what Gold Dot or Gold Rim Dagors are going for lately???

FWIW,
    Last edited by Jack Flesher; 14-Oct-2006 at 09:25.
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post

Have you priced what Gold Dot or Gold Rim Dagors are going for lately???
    Jack,

Interesting comment that reflects what many of us think given the recent Asian interest in Heliars and late Dagors. I recently picked up a 10-3/4" Golden Dagor from a dealer and yes, I had to pay a high price for it. But it is an uncommon focal length (one I really like) and was in uncommonly good condition.

But I've also figured out from 1950s-1960s price lists that a 12" Golden Dagor or Gold Dot Dagor would be selling for north of $4,000 in todays money. A 14" Trigor would be a bit over $5,000 and no shutter. So sure you can't have your choice of these lenses for $300 any more, but I'm unsure if the $1,000 - $1,500 range most of these lenses now sell for is really out of line given any reasonable level of demand. Most modern used equipment will sell for about 40%-50% of new value.

BTW, I think new Apo Ronars sold for about the same high price when they were still in the catalog, and Schneider's website lists 240mm and 270mm G-Clarons new in shutter for about $1,500. So you could make the argument that a mint Golden or Gold Dot Dagor of equivalent focal length would not be unreasonably priced at a $750- 1 grand. But certainly considerably more than we've been used to in recent years.

Steve

FWIW, the late Linhof Angulon I had was as sharp as anything -- including a 90/4.5 Grandagon -- the only price you pay is image circle and performance at open apertures (you got to shoot it at F/16-22).

So for $239 you got a bargain ;-) Sure beats those long Canon primes doesn't it?