Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lenscaps...

Re: Lenscaps...

I've often been able to use a cap from my "excess equipment" bag that was just a little too big for a capless lens by cutting a piece or two of electrical tape to fit around the interior rim of the cap. The added thickness has made the cap usable and they've always worked fine thereafter.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Mike Lewis

While we're on the subject, I have a related question. I use gel-type filters and a flexible hood on a Cokin filter holder. I would like to buy the Cokin adaptor rings for all of my LF lenses and leave them on the lenses, and get lens caps big enough to cover the adaptor rings. The adaptor rings appear to have an outer diameter of 85mm. Where would be a good place to buy "fit-over" lens caps this size?
    Mike Lewis
    mikelewisimages.com

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Michael D. Lewis View Post
    While we're on the subject, I have a related question. ... The adaptor rings appear to have an outer diameter of 85mm. Where would be a good place to buy "fit-over" lens caps this size?
    Look at B&H for lenscaps by Schneider or Kaiser. Also if you don't mind spending money, Grimes will make one for you in any size you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael D. Lewis View Post
    While we're on the subject, I have a related question. I use gel-type filters and a flexible hood on a Cokin filter holder. I would like to buy the Cokin adaptor rings for all of my LF lenses and leave them on the lenses, and get lens caps big enough to cover the adaptor rings. The adaptor rings appear to have an outer diameter of 85mm. Where would be a good place to buy "fit-over" lens caps this size?
    86mm?

I've done the same thing with leftover adhesive felt from a light seal replacement kit. Just stick a small strip inside the cap edge and it'll fit right up.

- Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    ... able to use a cap ... that was just a little too big ... by cutting a piece or two of electrical tape to fit around the interior rim of the cap.
    I'm adding you to my "Great Minds" list, because we think alike!

I'm sorry. I'm certain they're great and all, but a $100 lenscap is just from another reality.

If you use the Lee filter system, you can keep an adaptor ring on the lens and use one of their handy polythene lens caps. Or do as a well-known British landscaper does and use the tops from tubs of ice-cream...

And why is it that you can spend $350 to $6-700 on a used lens from any of the good used dealers, and you still have to buy the caps? You'd think they could could throw in (and fit) a set of caps which couldn't cost them a couple dollars!

Sorry, just a personal rant...

After which... I make my own after so many hassles with fitting caps. I cut mat board. Use some glue & tape. They come out black, perfectly fitting, take maybe 15 minutes and work great. Best of all, they might cost me three cents a piece. Cost of time??? It's a relaxing part of the hobby...

RichSBV,

"After which... I make my own after so many hassles with fitting caps. I cut mat board. Use some glue & tape. They come out black, perfectly fitting, take maybe 15 minutes and work great. Best of all, they might cost me three cents a piece. Cost of time??? It's a relaxing part of the hobby..."

BINGO, you win the cigar.

Actually I cheat and use foam-core for the face plate and just write the time off as 'basket weaving'. It's a whole lot easier and faster to make them than complain about them. With 3 in. and larger you're on your own anyway.

Have a nice day people.