Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Front movements when using long lenses

Re: Front movements when using long lenses

If you have a copy of Leslie Stroebel View Camera Technique read Chapter Two on View Camera Movements and go through some of the exercises. A few hours of practice in playing with the movements on a view camera is usually enough to give a person a very clear idea of what is needed to achieve a specific goal.

My arms are not long enough to use front movements with a 600mm lens, but I don't normally use this procedure anyway. Instead, I first carefully examine the plane of the subject and the plane of the ground glass and then adjust the movement on the plane of the lens board so that it meets at a common point with imaginary lines originating at the plane of the subject and the plane of the ground glasss.

Stroebel describes this as follows. "Adjustment of the lens or back can be made more accurately and more rapildy if the photographer notes that to obtain overall sharp focus the plane of the subject, the plane of the lensboard, and the plane of the back muste either be parallel to each other or meet at a commong point -the Scheimpflug rule." I find that in practice this method of adjusting movement for overall sharpness is both faster and more accurate than fiddling with adjustments and examining the results on the ground glass, and is especially useful in low light conditions.

Sandy King
    Last edited by sanking; 24-Sep-2006 at 10:57. Reason: spelling