Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Screwed: Re-thinking the 355 G-Claron

Screwed: Re-thinking the 355 G-Claron

Well, as another 355mm G-Claron flies by on the bay, I can't help but wonder if one of these is going to be my first 11x14 lens. I bid on it...a fair bid I think, and notta. I had an opportunity to purchase one privately, and it was out of my budget. So now what?

The 360mm Symmar S appears to be my safe 2nd choice. It's huge. It's heavy. It's multicoated. It's seemingly available and affordable. Other options include:

--360mm Orbit S II, which is the same as the above (I think) in a generic wrapper.
    --15" APO Raptar force fed into an Ilex shutter
    --Rodenstock's 360mm lens, which seems to be the same price as the Symmar S with less coverage.
    --Nikon 360mm f/6.5 Nikkor-W
    --360mm Schneider Symmar (the convertable one, single coated I think)
    --Kodak 14" Commercial Ektar, though I think it just covers with no movements

Whaddaya think?

Uses: B&W, Architecture (need rise!) and landscape, 11x14 camera, contact prints, would prefer a shutter, may not have a compendium shade to start.

--A

Re: Screwed: Re-thinking the 355 G-Claron

I think that considering the weight of your 11x14 camera, the added weight of the 360mm Symmar S will be insignificant. Carrying a heavy lens along with an 11x14 camera and acessories is analogous to lighting a match in Hell in terms of its effect on your overall level of discomfort.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis
    ...Carrying a heavy lens along with an 11x14 camera and acessories is analogous to lighting a match in Hell in terms of its effect on your overall level of discomfort.
    Thanks, Brian, that's one of the funniest analogies I've heard in a long time....I'm dying over here!!!

alec4444,

" may not have a compendium shade to start."

It other name is 'dark slide'

Another option 'JML' process lenses are usually killer sharp and affordable.

Good luck with it.

Don't forget the 14" Dagor, 16-1/2"-19" Artars and 450 Nikkor M. All are wonderful lenses btw.

I have a 14" Commercial Ektar and its briliant on an 8x10 but I suspect it might not give you much "sharp" wiggle room on an 11x14, at least at the edges. The only way to know for sure is to try one. Jim at Midwest usually keeps one or two in stock at a fair price (thats where I bought mine)

If you want a barrel lens, I've got a few sitting around that want to go to work.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by alec4444
    Well, as another 355mm G-Claron flies by on the bay, I can't help but wonder if one of these is going to be my first 11x14 lens. I bid on it...a fair bid I think, and notta. I had an opportunity to purchase one privately, and it was out of my budget. So now what?

The 360mm Symmar S appears to be my safe 2nd choice. It's huge. It's heavy. It's multicoated. It's seemingly available and affordable. Other options include:

--360mm Orbit S II, which is the same as the above (I think) in a generic wrapper.
    --15" APO Raptar force fed into an Ilex shutter
    --Rodenstock's 360mm lens, which seems to be the same price as the Symmar S with less coverage.
    --Nikon 360mm f/6.5 Nikkor-W
    --360mm Schneider Symmar (the convertable one, single coated I think)
    --Kodak 14" Commercial Ektar, though I think it just covers with no movements

Whaddaya think?

Uses: B&W, Architecture (need rise!) and landscape, 11x14 camera, contact prints, would prefer a shutter, may not have a compendium shade to start.

--A
    Reality Check-

11x14 is not an inexpensive habit. However, I can say with certainty that the 355 G Claron is a truly marvelous lens. Look for one in barrel to get you started and when you can afford it, put it in a Copal #3 and you are set. There are many out there and they come up for sale often so all is not lost.

Quote Originally Posted by alec4444

I'd agree with that. I don't know about the Raptar, but among the rest, given that your primary concern is coverage rather than particular subtleties in the rendering, I think the Symmar-S/Caltar S-II/Orbit S-II is likely to give you the best overall performance per dollar spent.

There's a 360mm f/9 Graphic Kowa on Ebay this week. It will screw directly into a Copal 3s shutter if you can find one. It's reputed to have coverage for 11x14, though perhaps not much in the way of movements. Auction number 270028616763.

Otherwise a 360mm Schneider/Nikkor/Fuji plasmat might be the way to go. With a little patience you might find something in the $300-400 price range.

Oh, and another option is a just listed Ilex Calumet Caltar 14 3/4" 375mm f/6.3 lens in Ilex 5 shutter. Coverage is spec'd at a 468mm, which would possibly meet your needs. It'll be less expensive, too. Auction #190032491557.

Why not try a 16 1/2 artar - non-red dot (uncoated?)...I picked one up in a shutter for less than $225 bucks. Fantastic lens. Contrast in wonderful. Even though it is not a red dot. Here is an APO Artar Red Dot 161/2 "/9 #836945, in front of Alpax #4 shutter, Ex++ $395 at Igor Camera as an example....

You could also try a 19" artar - perhaps in a barrel to start.