Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Price of film and paper in the future!

Price of film and paper in the future!

Hello, you Gents may find this interesting ..this is the intro for the new FreeStyle photo flyer.

"Dear Creative Photographer,
    Recently, I accompanied several members of Freestyle’s senior management team on a whirlwind trip to
    Europe, touring the headquarters and manufacturing facilities of several of our key partners such as
    Foma, Kentmere, Fotospeed, Ilford, Forte, and Fotokemika. As we met with the top executives of each of
    these organizations, we were constantly assured of their support of Freestyle’s commitment to aggressively
    work to insure Black and White photography remains alive, available and as affordable as possible.
    Unfortunately, we also discussed the problematic issues regarding the rapidly increasing costs involved
    in the production of Black and White film and photographic papers, especially petroleum and silver. With
    increases in the past 12 months alone of over 40% for petroleum and silver prices that recently are in a
    constant state of flux - at times reaching over $15.00 / oz. (a 100%+ increase over last year) - virtually
    every manufacturer has been forced to raise their prices significantly. BE ASSURED, HOWEVER, THAT
    FREESTYLE IS COMMITTED TO CONTINUE TO DO EVERYTHING POSSIBLE TO MINIMIZE THE EFFECTS OF
    THESE PRICE INCREASES ON OUR CUSTOMERS.
    While we have been successful in negotiating delays in price increases thru mid-August with many of
    our manufacturing partners, several have informed us they must raise prices immediately. I’m sure you
    have noticed increases already in effect for some Ilford, Kodak and Fuji products.

Re: Price of film and paper in the future!

Gerry,
    The costs are always going to go up. Freestyle to it's credit always offered very good sheet films under the Arista label. HP-5+ and FP-4+ were relabelled Arista until Ilford got in serious trouble. Then we had Fortepan under the Arista .edu banner until Forte started hemorraging. Now we've got Fomapan as Arista.edu Ultra to play with---its only a matter of time before they either go up in price or suffer---but don't worry 'cause 'time' is on your side. 'Time' being that it takes a lot longer to burn through film with a view camera than with a Nikon with a motordrive. I've learned to take my time, look more and shoot less---and trust myself to nail a shot rather than do a lot of bracketing.

Oh, and I've got a freezer loaded with sheet film, paper and a quite a few of rolls of aerial film I can cut down if need be!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Oh, and I've got a freezer loaded with sheet film, paper and a quite a few of rolls of aerial film I can cut down if need be!

Me Too!

I often find myself with finger on cable release, asking myself if this image is worth the cost of a sheet of film.

Then I remember spending $6 on breakfast, $60 on a motel room, $25 the night before for dinner, and gas driving 8 hours to get there...

Snap.

Film and paper are cheap compared to the opportunity. I can live with price increases, I can't live with lack of availability.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

I've been attempting to be a somewhat serious photographer for more than 30-years. For the entire time, photography has been on the brink of disaster. Fuel prices increasing - silver prices being manipulated - the "good" Ilfobrom no longer made - Varigam no longer made - the original Brilliant no longer made - prices going up. Go read all the back issues of Fred Picker's newsletter - the 70s and 80s were filled with the end of products. Then, guess what? Somebody made something else.

I've decided to respond in two ways. First, I have some glass plate holders with film sleeves. I can use them now with film, and later -after doomsday - with glass plates I make myself. I've also experimented enough with salt prints to know I can always make a print on something.

Second, and I think most important, I've quit worrying about it. The future of film and paper is beyond my ability to control no matter what I do. I buy what I can get and what I can afford.
    juan

Second, and I think most important, I've quit worrying about it
    Exactly! Compared to the expenses one has when taking even a small trip film is still relatively cheap. Go take pics and forget about it........

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Gasteazoro
    Exactly! Compared to the expenses one has when taking even a small trip film is still relatively cheap. Go take pics and forget about it........

You hit the nail on the head. In comparrison film is nothing especially when you sell your prints to recoupe the cost...
    Last edited by kjsphotography; 15-Sep-2006 at 11:10.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Gasteazoro
    Yup. Exactly right.

Bruce Watson

A sheet of film is still less than a cup of coffee. Good enough for me. The sky is not falling.

I'll go out on the limb again:

I just finished testing the Chinesse "ERA 100 PSS" 4x5 film against Tmax TMX100. It is an identical, 1 to 1 replacement for TMX for quality, exposure, development, density, graduation, grain, detail and graduation. Side by side I can not tell the difference besides the film notches. I didn't notice any UV blocker but I don't print on platinum, someone else can test for that. I tried it in D23/carbonate, divided D76/carbonate and HC110 - D. I have not tried it with any pyro developers, I don't normally use them. ERA dislikes potassium bromide as much as Tmax does, don't use any. At $8.00 a box of 25, it cost more in shipping.

If Freestyle is worried about pricing, maybe they should get in touch with the Shantou ERA Limited Corp. in China about being a US distributor. If it does not have the UV blocker coating, and they would sell it in large rolls, maybe the ULF people will buy it all.

Just a thought