Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shameless Self-Promotion - My New Website

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Re: Shameless Self-Promotion - My New Website

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis
    The images on the home page didn't "jerk" on my screen and I thought their pace was perfect, not too short for adequate viewing, not too long to cause the viewer to become impatient.
    i wonder if the pace is different on different browsers. on safari on the mac it's a wild ride!
    Last edited by paulr; 9-Sep-2006 at 15:34.

windows flash player is an activex object which integrates with operating system.
    On mozilla (firefox) and other browsers on other machines the flash player is a plugin (older technology) which doesn't run as fast. Also make sure you have the latest version of the plugin for your operating system/browser.

You need the flash frame rate set to at least 24 fps in the flash file by the prgrammer. 30 should work fine. The human eye sees the frames below 24fps assuming your machine is fast enough to run that which most recent ones are. Then those fade transitions consume a lot of CPU processing and can look awful.

For what its worth, I have a very slow PC and the fade is only a little jerky but what jolts is when the image being faded out is switched off. i.e. its fade out is not taken to completion before it is switched off. However I hadn't really noticed that when I first looked since I was interested to get to the gallery pages. So I'd say it could be better but its not that bad for most people since most will be using windows.

It may be that since my pc is slow it can't process all the frames and that causes the jolt at the end of each image. I have no way of knowing if that is the reason.
    Last edited by robc; 9-Sep-2006 at 16:54.

Very nice prints and presentation!

The signatures are fine with me. After all, that how and where AA signed his prints, but like he did, I would make sure that the signature is very faint and has no change to take dominance.

Prints like that are typically referred to as fine-art prints. I'm not sure that the word 'fine' is a qualitative statement in this context or if it is just a description of an intented style.

I agree with this comment. That struck me too. However, it might be just because Doremus himself introduced it to us. If we would have stumbled over it ourselves, it wouldn't have been an issue.

It's all very smooth and fast on my iMac and Safari. No issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder
    Finally, after years of good intentions, I have a website showcasing my work. Please visit and tell me what you think.

www.DoremusScudder.com

Best
    Good Work Doremus, I found no problems with your web site.

Best,

Don Bryant

Thank you all for taking time to view and comment on my website. I'm flattered that so many of you visited. Here in Austria, they have a saying about shameless self-promotion. It goes, "Wer nicht wirbt, stirbt." Roughly translated: "If you don't blow your own horn, you'll die." I'm pleased that my "horn blowing" attracted so much attention.

Many of the issues mentioned I am aware of and in the process of changing: The small thumbnails, the vertical scroll-bar on the galleries, etc. Fortunately, everything is able to be changed, so I'll keep tuning things. That goes for "webifying" some of the images as well (it would be nice to know which ones precisely...).

Some of the things that a few of you reacted to negatively (the bright whites, the selenium toning, using third person, etc.) were well-considered choices that I will probably not change. As far as scrolling to see the images goes, I would rather have a larger image on display at a fixed size. The need to scroll, especially for verticals, seems unavoidable.

As far as the technical things go, I'll pass your comments on to my web-guy and see if he can tweak things a bit.

By the way, I use Firefox, and the PayPal button shows up fine in my browser...

Again, thanks to you all for donating your precious time and expertise. I truly appreciate it.

Best,

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder
    That goes for "webifying" some of the images as well (it would be nice to know which ones precisely...).
    Doremus

I had the same problem. It was fixed by calibrating my monitor to gamma 2.2 and attaching a 'Gray Gamma 2.2' profile to my images in Photoshop before posting. This will not fix issues for people who don't have their monitors calibrated but you can't please them all.

Nevertheless, a website should always be verified on a Windoze machine running IE. This will catch and satisfy most users. (I'm a dedicated Mac user since 1986). You can find a good browser statistic at:

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

Tell your web guy to check it out.

The best practice is to save the jpgs without any profile. ImageReady or Photoshop's "Save for Web" feature will do this unless you enable the check box for assigning a profile. Check out an online clothing catalog's jpgs -- where color is probably more important than the color of your B&W prints -- no profile. There is a carefully considered reason why they chose to do that...