Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Shameless Self-Promotion - My New Website

Re: Shameless Self-Promotion - My New Website

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph W. Lambrecht

You can find a good browser statistic at:

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp
    Those statistics are heavily skewed and they even say so themselves.

These are better but none are truly reliable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_s...f_web_browsers

IE does not support colour management. The web standard is sRGB. Best policy for display on the web is to convert your image to sRGB before saving for web. Attaching a profile to the web image in IE6 makes no difference in IE6. It just ignores it.

Not 100% sure what macs do. They are coloured managed but it really depends on the browser and what each browser on a Mac does. If they are doing different things then it doesn't make sense to attach a profile since the image will look different in different browsers on macs. I assume that if no profile is attached on a mac browser then it will default to sRGB so it will look the same as on a IE6 browser. Makes sense then not to attach a profile and go with the default sRGB for web so that image will look the same on all browsers/platforms all other things being equal. You should convert to sRGB before saving for web if your image edit tool does not do it for you. If not then your image will look different on the web than it does in your image edit program.

http://www.color.org/version4html.html
    Last edited by robc; 10-Sep-2006 at 09:06.

Quote Originally Posted by robc
    Those statistics are heavily skewed and they even say so themselves.
    I don't think they say that. They say, however:

Statistics Are Often Misleading

You cannot - as a web developer - rely only on statistics. Statistics can often be misleading.

Global averages may not always be relevant to your web site. Different sites attract different audiences. Some web sites attract professional developers using professional hardware, other sites attract hobbyists using older low spec computers.

Also be aware that many stats may have an incomplete or faulty browser detection. It is quite common by many web stats report programs, not to detect new browsers like Opera and Netscape 6 or 7 from the web log.

(The statistics above are extracted from W3Schools' log-files, but we are also monitoring other sources around the Internet to assure the quality of these figures)

This is most likely true for all stastistics, but thanks for the link.
    Last edited by Ralph W. Lambrecht; 10-Sep-2006 at 09:37.

we've been here before. What it says is:

W3Schools is a website for people with an interest for web technologies. These people are more interested in using alternative browsers than the average user. The average user tends to use Internet Explorer, since it comes preinstalled with Windows. Most do not seek out other browsers.

These facts indicate that the browser figures below are not 100% realistic. Other web sites have statistics showing that Internet Explorer is used by at least 80% of the users.

Just checked out your site this morning on the new IE7. Looks good on it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio

While I understand your reluctance to revealing your contact info, if you want to do business online you need to.
    Not quite. For a long time, I did not have my address on the terragalleria.com site (until I found out how easy it is to fish it out !), nor a phone number. The same can be said of Dan Heller, who doesn't even publish his email address. But of course you need to have your contact info on your invoices :-)

Quote Originally Posted by robc
    IE does not support colour management. The web standard is sRGB. Best policy for display on the web is to convert your image to sRGB before saving for web. Attaching a profile to the web image in IE6 makes no difference in IE6. It just ignores it.

Not 100% sure what macs do. They are coloured managed but it really depends on the browser and what each browser on a Mac does. If they are doing different things then it doesn't make sense to attach a profile since the image will look different in different browsers on macs. I assume that if no profile is attached on a mac browser then it will default to sRGB so it will look the same as on a IE6 browser. Makes sense then not to attach a profile and go with the default sRGB for web so that image will look the same on all browsers/platforms all other things being equal. You should convert to sRGB before saving for web if your image edit tool does not do it for you. If not then your image will look different on the web than it does in your image edit program.

http://www.color.org/version4html.html
    Macs are fully color managed. Attaching a color profile would definitely make any current Mac browser display correct colors. Assuming the profile for those images that have none attached could and most likely would lead to erroneous color translation and that would run counter the entire color management concept.

Not to split hairs, but sRGB is not the web standard. It is recognized by w3c, however, among other bodies, as a color space valid for web use.

sRGB is suitable for any display usage because it is narrow enough to fit the majority of displays currently in use. A new crop of Adobe RGB-capable monitors is just entering the market, but they are still at least a few years away of mainstream usage due to their huge price.

As Frank has noted above, some industries have deliberately chosen not to attach any profiles to their images for reasons that are beyond the scope of this discussion.

Well, that was the point. When I didn't attach a profile, people complained. Then I did attach a profile for my B&W images (Gray Gamma 2.2) and the complaints stopped. Since then, I attach the profile.

I use a Mac at home and a PC at work. Friends and familiy use one ot the other. After attaching the profile the images look the same whatever computer I use.

Quote Originally Posted by QT Luong
    Not quite. For a long time, I did not have my address on the terragalleria.com site (until I found out how easy it is to fish it out !), nor a phone number. The same can be said of Dan Heller, who doesn't even publish his email address. But of course you need to have your contact info on your invoices :-)
    I took the view that contact details should be visible but I put them in an image file so that they are not scanned by bots. Email address is embedded in PHP which is not visible to bots either.

but if you want to check for someones address you can just look here and assume it is correct cos it could be false:

http://www.allwhois.com/
    Last edited by robc; 10-Sep-2006 at 13:30.

Here's what it shows right now:

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/1.3.33 Server at www.doremusscudder.com Port 80

I think you need to upgrade your service...