Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Investing in our future!

Re: Investing in our future!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Wallace
    However, the main difference (and I really don't see this changing, ever) is that digital is like colour slide film, with about 4-5 stops.
    Sorry, to have to disagree with you somewhat on this one. A BetterLight scanning back can capture a full 12-stops of data (unlike any other single-shot digital back available today). This puts it's dynamic range beyond the reach of the best color negative films.

IMHO, what the *REAL* difference is this: the ability and skill to preview the image (literally see it in your head) before clicking the shutter. The instant feedback of small cameras (especially digicams) makes this unnecessary. In fact, it can be argued that small, instant-feedback cameras can make you lazy if you don't excercise extreme caution.

Whereas *ALL* big cameras have one thing in common: each image is precious (and it shows).
    Last edited by MJSfoto1956; 14-Sep-2006 at 19:08.

Re: Investing in our future!

I shot my very first film last october. Before that, I shot digital only (early DSLR, P&S, then "modern" dslr etc), and had been since 1995 or so.

Now I shoot 90% film; 135, 120, and now 4x5; E6 & B&W. Oh and I started wet-printing.

I wish I had discovered film before !

I'm /sure/ I must not be alone in "upgrading" to film; One guy I know who works for fuji told me film sales have stopped dipping and they have even forecasted a small rise over the next 2 years...