Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Investing in our future!

Re: Investing in our future!

I think the best way to support those vendors we want to keep around is to shoot more, and buy regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrik Roseen
    I am hoping to go on another photojourney this autumn and am considering ordering some Velvia 100F in 4x5. Is it really as nice as the old velvia 50 for nature?
    The Velvia 100F did not replace the Velvia 50. Look for the 100 without the F if you want the same look as the 50.

chris

Didn't kodak stop r+d for all cameras? Does is this rumored 55 mp back not considered a camera. Sorry for the tangent.

Don't worry, shoot away! Quite possibly traditional materials will go up in price (everything does) but its unlikely your 8x10 has a motordrive so burning two hundred exposures in a nanosecond isn't likely. Outfits like Freestyle, J and C and PhotoWarehouse have been selling sheet films at bargain prices for a long time---and they've more often than not proven to be excellent emulsions so take your pick and enjoy! "Momento Mori"
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Ralph says "I think the best way to support those vendors we want to keep around is to shoot more, and buy regularly ".... I say this respectfully...you can shoot your nuts off with Kodak film but it will be gone soon. Back to my original post..please buy your favourite film an put a ton in the freezer..it may be gone tommorrow or you could still buy it on Ebay for twice the price..its up to you. It is truly an investment in more ways than one. How about China.........will Ilford have to open plants in China... maybe not, China has natural resource problems ( they will need silver ) ..up goes the price of film. What if a new technology or process program comes along in the next few years that beats or enhances digitals images beyond 8X10 quality. Look at what cameras your kids are buying.

Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Harrison
    What if a new technology or process program comes along in the next few years that beats or enhances digitals images beyond 8X10 quality. Look at what cameras your kids are buying.

Gerry
    There are many What ifs. What if your freezer breaks down.
    Last edited by Ron Marshall; 4-Sep-2006 at 17:35.

Hey Ron

What if... your freezer breaks down....well the film will be fine but the meat is what I am concerned about. LOL good fun thanks for participating.

Gerry

-Rob bigcameraworkshops.com Robert Skeoch's Avatar

I think film's going to be around for a long time.
    My sports photography is all done on digital and has been for years.... I'm on my fifth generation of digital, but who cares, the stuff I really love is large format.
    Digital will never replace it because the great part of LF is in the shooting, some people call it the zen of large format.
    You'll never replace the feeling of creating a great picture on a view camera with some plastic 8 frames a second digital box that needs replacement every two years.
    When I get my next field camera... a 5x7 Ebony I hope, I expect to use it for the next 30 years.
    -Rob
    www.bigcameraworkshops.com

Cooke, Heliar, Petzval...yeah

As long as people like Michael and Paula are here, bringing Lodima (New Azo) back and Ilford which still continues production of film and we start support these people, I will not worry about future.

We need to pick suppliers they willing to support us so let's support them as well. There is enough people just on this forum to keep them running. Not to mention APUG and others.

We need to pick our battlefields as well if we want to survive.
    Last edited by SAShruby; 4-Sep-2006 at 19:01.
    Peter Hruby
    www.peterhruby.ca

This comes up all the time. The fact is that none of us can predict the future so what's the point. Use the materials you have available as long as they're available, when they're not switch to something else.

I don't see how anyone not into digital cameras can be anything except depressed by events of the last five years. Digital took over much faster than I thought it would. I thought film would dominate among pros and "serious amateurs" for at least another decade (so much for my prediction abilities). But that doesn't tell us what will happen in the next five years though the notion that people in large enough numbers to matter will drop digital and return to film strikes me as fanciful at best.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.