This stems off of the other thread asking whether the switch to the newer 141mm standards was worth it. It seems that the consensus is that the slightly smaller standards are not, in themselves, worth the expense of switching cameras. But almost everybody who switched did so in order to also take advantage of the newer, wider range bellows. And most upgraded to Orbix as well (which is where a lot of the price difference $ went too).

If I wanted to create a more universal 4x5 bellows for a 171mm 4x5 Arca (or heavens help us, a vintage pre-F model) what is the best, most economical way to go?

I know you have to get a pair of bellows frames somehow. Does this mean sacrifing the old one you already have or purchasing whatever is the cheapest on sold?

Which vendors are already familiar with doing this?

Are there patterns or reccomendations for specing the new bellows with these vendors?

I guess I too would love a bellows that can go from using a 47mm to a 450mm lens in one unit. But really, what is the most realistic and practical range? I also don't want to end up with a bellows that is hard to fold or more fragile than normal?

And what about materials? I know that scanning backs don't get along with leather but I would sleep with my old leather Arca bag bellows, it was so sweet smelling and sexy

I know the factory is crazy to deal with but has anyone ever purchased just the frames and would they consider doing a group order?