Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Desert Travel: Heat and Dust

Talking Desert Travel: Heat and Dust

Hello, all,

I'm departing in a week for a two week photo expedition in Nevada, Utah, and Arizona, and expect to encounter a great deal of dust (perhaps dust storms up near Pyramid Lake in Nevada) and a great deal of heat. Any suggestions on keeping my equipment (4x5) and film clean, cool, and functional? I fear the film will spoil in the hot car and the camera will become overrun with dust.

Many thanks,
    jkl

Re: Desert Travel: Heat and Dust

Pick up some anti-static ziplock bags if you can find them in time. 3M makes them, as does a couple of other companies. Use coolers.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Leave a clear UV filter on the lens, then either stack another filter or switch filters before shooting.

Get a cooler and some freeze packs. Put the film in a waterproof container to prevent contact with condensation.

Thank you, both, for your replies. I found some 8x10" anti-static ziplock bags on e-bay and promptly ordered them. I'm also going to get a cooler with a little rack in it that allows separation of film from the cool packs. I may then put the film inside the waterproof bags that rafters and the like often use to store clothes, gear, etc. If anyone has any additional suggestions, I'd love to hear 'em. Will dust-off help with film loading? Or perhaps the best bet is a small vacuum system and an anti-static brush?

Cheers.
    -jkl

Pelican. Keep you stuff underwater.

You can use quick/readyloads to help keep the dust off the film.

Geos

I just returned from such a trip in June. I ended the trip in Death Valley where the heat and dust were greatest. I recall being on the dunes and inserting the 8x10 back into the pack when wome wind blew a bunch of sand on top of the camera. It was literally, like someone just shoveled some on there intentionally. Anyway, I came away with some great shots! My recommendations are: keep the lenses in plastic bags until just before use; have a supply of rags anda brush available to clean the camera, lenses, and holders frequently; and, don't be so anal retentive that you miss a great shot for fear of some dust or sand.

If you're flying out there, try to pickup a can of compressed air when you arrive.

I live in the desert and agree with George. Plastic bags and perhaps a plastic food container if you are shooting readyloads. One for exposed film/ another for the readyload holder. They come in sizes close to the size of a readyload box of film.

Keep lenses in plastic, easy to do. Take a compressed air can, if you can.

But mainly, don't worry too much about it. You will find its really not as big an issue as you might think.

Bring lot's of bottled water.....

PS. If you are going near Page AZ (slot canyons and other great shooting) look up Jackson Bridges as a guide. You won't regret it.

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

My suggestion to you is that you put the trip off until October. The light will be much better, the attractions less crowded, and the weather much more suitable for being outdoors.
    Brian Vuillemenot