Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tachihara Stability

Re: Tachihara Stability

How does it compare with the stabiity of the Shen-Hao?

Eric Biggerstaff

I have used my Tachi for almost 10 years and love it. It is still a great performer and I use up to my Nikon 300mm on it with no problems. Small, lightweight, well built, and wonderful to look at, not bad for the price.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Why not just get a metal field camera?

Hi Robert,
    In the original post I think Wayne is interested in the Tachihara because of its distinctive look and affordable price. He has questions on the stability but that doesn't appear to be his primary factor in choosing a camera. Your Toyo AII (did I get the model right?) may be as solid as they come but I think its about twice the price and it wouldn't have that same "sexy" look as the Tachi. See the attached pic of the Fujinon 400 T lens on the 4x5 Tachi with its distinctive cherrywood and brass look. Female viewers might be checking out the good-looking photographer rather than the good-looking camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Haug
    Hi Robert,
    In the original post I think Wayne is interested in the Tachihara because of its distinctive look and affordable price. He has questions on the stability but that doesn't appear to be his primary factor in choosing a camera. Your Toyo AII (did I get the model right?) may be as solid as they come but I think its about twice the price and it wouldn't have that same "sexy" look as the Tachi. See the attached pic of the Fujinon 400 T lens on the 4x5 Tachi with its distinctive cherrywood and brass look. Female viewers might be checking out the good-looking photographer rather than the good-looking camera.
    Hi Rick,

I think you are right. The Tachi really is a beautiful camera, IMO, the most beautiful of the wooden ones. I only suggested the metal, if everyone is complaning about rigidity issues (yes, I have the 45AII). I'm hoping to see Graeme's Tachi in October, you may have a convert on your hands.

I agree about the photographer - he is a pretty good fellow. I'm sure he is popular with the girls.

SF Bay Area 94303

I own one of the early ones. The front standard is not very ridgid. I bought some stick on velcro and up it on the top of the front and back standards. I have a little wooden brace that that also has velcro on it that I stick across on the velcro on the standards when everything is set up. Works like a charm. If you want tank solid for cheap buy a CC401. You get what you pay for.

Paul, I have an older 4x5 Tachihara field camera rigged with a pinhole shutter, and "field" is misspelled too. Grin.

Never hurt the image quality though. HA!

Talking Re: Tachihara Stability

Just a side comment here; what is "adequate rigidity"? People talk a lot about it but in reading a thread like this is also important to note what people don't say. I haven't read any mention that anyone thinks their actual pictures suffer a lack of sharpness because of it. Usually they're just feeling up their camera and assuming that it isn't rigid enough.

I once had an 8x10 wooden Canham field that you would have sworn could never have taken a decent picture because of the "lack of rigidity" in the rear standard that many have noted. yet this camera consistently took pictures as sharp as any other cameras I've ever owned.

Steve

I've had my Tachi since 1998 (it was built in 1997 if the serial number is indicative). I've never had a problem with rigidity.

Oh, and the Tachi is rock-solid too.

Cheers,
    Graeme

Having had several Tachiharas and several Wistas over the years, I can tell you that the Wistas are better made of better materials. But Tachiharas will give entirely satisfactory service if they are treated well, and they are very pretty. Their good looks will attract attention where the understated good looks of the Wista will be passed by. However, Tachiharas will not stand up to rough treatment, and for that reason if I bought another Tachihara I would only buy it new.