Thread: Wilderness Hikes near Pacific Grove ?

Wilderness Hikes near Pacific Grove ?

Will be in Pacific Grove in August for a conference - two questions:

1) Should I bring the 4x5 ?

2) Where should I take it in the mornings/evenings for some good landscape opportunities? (I prefer good hikes away from roads, the wilder the better - but need to stay within an hour or so of Pacific Grove.)

Re: Wilderness Hikes near Pacific Grove ?

The 17 mile drive and Point Lobos State Preserve come to mind---both close by. If you want to have some great seafood in Pacific Grove try The Fish Wife. Theres also Myrick photo if you need lf supplies. If you find that you've got more time than you planned, a drive sown hwy 1 is always a fun idea but expect fog & overcast, at least during the mornings.

In the other direction you might consider a ride on the narrow guage at Felton outside of Santa Cruz. They'll drop you and your gear off at the end of the lline and come back for you next trip, giving you an hour or so to be among the redwoods by yourself.

Have fun (did I recommend The Fish Wife?)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

A bump to Pt. Lobos, even though the hiking is not difficult, it is possible to feel completely alone in a wilderness setting. The northwestern corner of the preserve is especially nice, as is Weston Beach at low tide. Hours are limited to after sunrise and before sunset, so that can be troublesome.

Also in the vicinity is Garapata State Beach, a rocky stretch of shoreline that is a worthy subject. On the opposite side of Highway 1, you can get your exercise hiking up Garrapata State Beach's Soberanes Canyon Trail. A good sprint through some redwoods threaded by the creek to some nice vistas of the ocean.

Another spot is Jack's Peak just north of Monterey. Again, limited hours in that park, but there are some nice trails with some very expressive vegetation.

Even more hikes when you get down around Big Sur.

Asilomar Beach and the adjacent dunes are nothing to sneeze at. Pt. Lobos will keep you occupied for as long as you've got time for.

Dave