Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: disappointment with Ilfochrome prints

disappointment with Ilfochrome prints

When I shoot for a client, I usually shoot BOTH color transparencies and color for prints. The client gets the transparencies (to use for publication or whatever) and I keep the negative film on file for print orders (so I can control the quality of the printing at my custom lab, and to keep samples on hand). If you know you are going to end up with prints, why not shoot color negatives in the first place? I have had reversal prints made from some of my transparencies, and have always been (a little) disappointed in the contrast gain. I love all the subtle tones you can get from a good color negative on glossy paper from a good lab.

Old School Wayne

Just print them yourself in a home darkroom. It doesnt take much- a decent but cheap enlarger with a good lens, a drum, some chemicals, and print viewing filters. And, unless you are doing very high volume printing, its cheaper than having a lab do them. You dont need digithis or digithat, just a plain old darkroom works fine

I own a small Iflochrome lab in Cheyenne Wyoming. That's all we do. It sounds like you found a bad lab. The color could be because they have poor QC or their chemistry was out of control. If your transparencies are not put between glass in the enlarger, they heat up during the exposure and pop. My enlargers have 500 watts and 1200 watts of light. They get very hot, and Ilfochrome exposures are long.