Page 3 of 58 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: The Focus Magazine thread

Re: Bad Experience with Focus Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by FocusMag
    Also, if Mr. Gordon would pay attention to the magazine, he would have my e-mail address which is clearly stated in the magazine. The only working e-mail address is "submissions@focusmag.info" all other e-mail address go into a SPAM filter.
    So you present email addresses to the public (including feedback@) and have it go directly to a spam filter. That tells me all I need to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry L. Thalmann
    I have no horse in this race, but I just want to point out that the USPS offers FREE carrier pickup service for Express Mail and Priority Mail shipments. They will pickup at any business or residence. You can pay online (or use stamps or metered postage if they were provided), print a shipping label and request a free carrier pickup for the next day, or any day up to three months in advance. It takes about 30 seconds to do so on their web site. Full details here.

For busy folks, it really is a great service. I rarely wait in line at the post office anymore (the exception being international shipments with insurance over $100 - for some reason you can purchase additional insurance for domestic shipments online, but not for international shipments). The USPS also supplies free boxes, envelopes, etc. Each carrier has advantages and disadvantages, but you might want to check out the USPS web site to see if their services can possibly save you both time and money. At the very least, you can take advantage of their carrier pickup service for returning items that were submitted with USPS return materials.

Kerry
    This is a fantastic! I've never heard of this before...I'll start doing this when I get back! Thank you, Kelly!

Quote Originally Posted by QT Luong
    I find that idea that you would pay a magazine (or even give them free use) to be published to get "exposure" outrageous. Last that I remember, when Time or GEO magazine uses my images I am paid more than when Ocala Magazine or Berkeley Express does, yet the "exposure" from the former mags looks a bit better than from the latters.
    This isn't a photojournalism gallery. It is a gallery in which the images are presented in a manner where they are for sale. Think of it as an art gallery inside of a magazine. Collectors read the magazine and get to purchase any image from the gallery for a price the photographer determines.

Michael E. Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by FocusMag
    Please do not think of this as a bad experience, it is my fault this return date was not made clear inside of the magazine...
    It is a bad experience, and indeed it's your fault that none of your provisions are made clear in your April issue's call for submissions. In fact, re-reading this call for submissions, you state that photographers should include "shipping materials for us to promptly return your prints after we've reviewed them". Is nine weeks of waiting considered by Focus to be a prompt return? It's interesting that your call for submissions makes no mention of your pay pay-to-play policy. Is there a problem with being straight and upfront with photographers, or are you fishing for fools? I would never have made a submission if I had known that I was going to get a $1500 sales pitch and then endure an interminable wait for the return of my portfolio.

What can I do to rectify the situation? It is impossible until the 25 of July to make it to my other office (storage office) and to the post office.
    If you genuinely care to rectify this situation, you can get my portfolio in the mail promptly (not on the 25th). Thank you.

Forgive this observation, but I don't buy the "I'm too busy" excuse. If you're too busy - either hire help or don't over-commit yourself. This should not be reflected in the service you provide your customers or contributors.

The same for email addresses that point to a spam trap. If you post them online - expect people to use them and monitor for legitimate communications. Anything less is blatant disrespect to your customers, contributors, or anyone else trying to get your attention.

Guy

Doug Dolde

Mr. Focus Mag,

You have certainly fornicated yourself as far as readers of this forum go.

Regards,

Let's get this straight, the photographer is expected to pay the publisher? Interesting concept.

So what we see in this magazine is thinly disguised advertisiing instead of editorial? Interesting......
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Well said, Doug. Here's an example of how David could have handled the first posting in a way that might have produced a totally different response here:

"Dear Michael, I apologise, I have been a bit overextended lately. I realize I am needing some more staff around here; this business is turning out to be more complicated than I anticipated. I will send your portfolio back right away, and I look forward to working with you in the future."

I don't have much experience in photographic publishing, but I do have many years of experience in music publishing. In that industry it is considered most unprofessional for a publisher to charge an artist for publishing. In music, as in magazines, the artist takes the risks involved in creating the work - the publisher takes the risks of publishing. Both hope to eventually make a profit.

juan