Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4x5 View for Newby

4x5 View for Newby

I'm new to this group and have been pretty impressed with the conversations. I currently shoot a Crown Graphic 4x5 and am looking to get into a 4x5 view. My needs are pretty basic: architecture, portrait and products. I see alot of Cambo, Calumet, Sinar, Graflex, Toyo for sale and am willing to take a risk on any of them, but obviously wish to get the best for my needs the first time around.

I like the Cambo Legend with the geared movements. Presuming I'm moderately knowledgeable about view cameras, is there any negative on this camera? Anyone have any opinions on the rest of the list? I started with the Graphic II View camera, but then decided it wasn't precision enough for my taste. Any help is fully appreciated. Thanks!

MechE

Re: 4x5 View for Newby

Hi MechE,

FWIW, everyone is going to have their own opinions as to what camera is the best on the market. Are you buying new or used?

Personally speaking, I think the Sinar system is the top contender since the system is fully expandable. Secondly, there's lots of used Sinar gear on the block at the moment... and going relatively inexpensively. Third, it's well built equipment and precise.

This is the system I use and I'm more than happy with the equipment.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

A Calumet c400 4x5 monorail view camera.
    Inexpensive, serious workhorse, lots of movement.
    Battle-ship gray color, Battle-ship solid too.

Before you buy any more equipment may I suggest some reading

Getting Started in Large Format that is in the Free Articles section of the View Camera web site. There are several more articles in that section that might be helpful.

One of these books

Large Format Nature Photography by Jack Dykinga

Jim Stone's User's Guide to the View Camera (if you can find one)

Using the View Camera that I wrote.

Try your local library for these books

steve simmons
    www.viewcamera.com

I agree with Capocheny that the Sinar system is the supreme camera system, I my self lig around a Sinar P 8x10 and i have to say it is one of the nicest veiw cameras I have used. Solid as a rock.

Austin

lazy retired bum

What you have not told us is what type of photography you plan to do with the new camera and what you have problems with with the old one.

View cameras are sort of like dogs, almost infinite variety for lots of different purposes. It's a long way from a Toho at a couple of pounds, great for carrying on a backpacking trip, to a Sinar P. Few people are capable of carrying a Sinar P very far.

Most people will encourage you to get what they have, since, presumably they are happy with it. Monorails are different than folding cameras, Metal cameras are different than wooden ones. Great photographers have made great images with most all of them.

I currently use an Arca Swiss F-Line Field and love it though I did most of my work in the past with a Toyo 45A Field (which just happens to be for sale on this site). I like the precision, it just feels good to use, and I think it's pretty. Others may just love their Ebony, or old Calumet.

Steve Simmons gave you some good advice, but do consider what you're really likely to photograph. Don't get caught up in the fantasy of the great landscape if you live in Delaware, but almost any camera can do great work... with a great photographer behind it.

I agree with Steve Simmons. I have the books and Leslie Stroebel's "View Camera Technique." Personally they're all worth getting and reading for the whole overview. There's always something you need to know and these are great resources. It helps when you get the "Huh?" feeling to look it up and not feel so stupid.
    --Scott--

Scott M. Knowles, MS-Geography
    scott@wsrphoto.com

"All things merge into one, and a river flows through it."
    - Norman MacLean

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Brody
    What you have not told us is what type of photography you plan to do with the new camera and what you have problems with with the old one.
    .... but do consider what you're really likely to photograph.
    Eric, actually he did tell us, plans on doing architecture, portrait, and product photography. It's probably not necessary to elaborate on the Crown's shortcomings at least for product and architecture.

Eric's advice is pretty sound though. Arca if you need to carry it and Sinar if you don't.

The Cambos are generally considered to be good cameras (although I've never had one), but certainly not as sexy as the Arca or a slick Sinar P/P2. I remember a post Jim Galli made, who has both Cambos and Sinars available, and he prefered the double "goalpost" design of the Cambo standard because you could sort of do tiny adjustments on one side at a time.

I think geared movements are a plus for product photography, especially if the products are small.

Steve

lazy retired bum

Oops! I just reread your post and mine, and realize you really did say what you want to shoot... architecture, portrait, and products. Sorry, I must have been reading a bit too fast.

Architectural subjects are among the most demanding of a view camera since "proper" architecture requires vertical lines be kept vertical and perspective control is critical. For that type of work you really do need a monorail with lots of movements and lenses with wide image circles, often expensive wide angles. Product work can also need extensive movements as well. Portraiture is arguably the least demanding, unless you want to distort your subject.

All in all, since buildings are usually near roads, (unless you like to hike to shacks and forest shelters) products are usually in a studio, and portraiture is done almost anywhere from a studio to the great outdoors, a monorail may be your best bet. I'd get something versatile, and inexpensive and spend your serious money on lenses.

I have a 3 Lb Toho and a 7.5 Lb Sinar. The Sinar is great to shoot near a car.