Thread: Chinese LF Photographer

Chinese LF Photographer

Here is a link for those curious minds to have a peek at current large format photography in China. A young and fast growing group. No wonder the prices of our old Dagor, Protar and Heliar keep moving up...

http://forum.xitek.com/showthread.php?threadid=375975

Re: Chinese LF Photographer

Some nice work being posted there, Hugo. Thanks for sharing the link.

I think I would have put a folded Deardorff behind the (attractive) girl on the chopper, though.

Indeed, the number of photographers in China and Taiwan are growing at an incredible rate. For the mainlanders, this is favored by the fast but substantial growth of the national economy. I am amazed how some of the photographers from mainland can afford those Leica, Hassy...etc., while some workers are making $50 a month, it's pretty sad.

At any rate, the photographers on the board show their unique vision. And seems like they (DISCLAIMER: not all of them) have some more work to do for sharpening and increase the tonal ranges of their images during the digital process (for web publishing); on the other hand, the Taiwanese (dgphoto.com) are so darn good at that.

I usually don't spend much time on mainlanders' board, I surf TW board most of the time.

And you are swimmer61 eh?

Yes, thanks for the link. Now we know what happens with all the good lenses being transferred to China.... I thought the Peking Opera nudes were 'different' (and that means a hell of a lot coming from someone who has little to no interest in the subject matter) - but no info on the maker. Pity.

Medform-Norm, If you click the name, it will lead you the the maker's personal file with all his posting of pictures and writings. He has more picture there.

400d, LF is still in its infancy in mainland China. A few years life so far. There are hundreds of thread there. They bundle LF and MF togeter. This one has some picture postings. There are ones for people discussing just lenses. There are half dozen people using 12x20 there. A few do pt/pd work. Most of these guys are not into web publishing yet. Yes, I am the swimmer and I just got my $99 scanner two weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by 400d
    Indeed, the number of photographers in China and Taiwan are growing at an incredible rate. For the mainlanders, this is favored by the fast but substantial growth of the national economy. I am amazed how some of the photographers from mainland can afford those Leica, Hassy...etc., while some workers are making $50 a month, it's pretty sad.
    Like most countries... there's the RICH and then, there is the poor! I think you'd be absolutely surprised with the amount of wealth some of those people have... in spite of the numbers of poor!

The cycle of life!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Does the link work for everyone? All I get is a message the server isn't responding at this time. I've tried all afternoon (PDT) with no result so far.
    --Scott--

Scott M. Knowles, MS-Geography
    scott@wsrphoto.com

"All things merge into one, and a river flows through it."
    - Norman MacLean

The .cn sites always slow for me when I am here in USA. I dunno why.

Anyway, infancy is definitely the right word to describe the growing photographer population in China, I was thinking the term immature, but it sounds like an offense in some degree :P

It's interesting to see the civilians getting rich there, and they are actually living like the people from New York, Los Angeles, Paris, Tokyo...etc. It amazes me how rich they really are. Setting the $ on the side, China is definitely a great place for photography. So rich in diversity of races (for great portraits), as well as the mountains and rivers which are just as stunning as those in the states.

Quote Originally Posted by Capocheny
    Like most countries... there's the RICH and then, there is the poor! I think you'd be absolutely surprised with the amount of wealth some of those people have... in spite of the numbers of poor!

The cycle of life!

Cheers
    There have always been those who can afford pretty much anything they want, and those who have trouble keeping a roof over their heads and food in their mouths. What changes over time are the proportions and the number of those who are somewhere in between -- as well as the size of the gap. A modern member of the "middle class" who has managed to avoid putting himself into debt up to his eyebrows is far richer, in terms of how he lives and what he can posess, than most kings in history have been -- but that class appears to be shrinking, at least in the USA. More and more, there are the wealthy, and the poor, and little in between -- and the poor are getting poorer than they used to be, too...
    If a contact print at arm's length is too small to see, you need a bigger camera. :D

"I am amazed how some of the photographers from mainland can afford those Leica, Hassy...etc."

Just a footnote. A guy from mainland China has just won a bid on eBay to have a lunch with Warren Buffett for a pocket change of $620,100! I wander how many Leicas, Hassys or ULF that can buy.