Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Interested in Starting Out

Interested in Starting Out

Hey Everyone, I'm knew to here and fairly new to Large Format. I've used 2 LF cameras before, but I'm looking into buying one soon. What do you suggest for someone who just wants a simple, cheap (less than $300 with lens and camera, and it can be used) camera that can be used for lanscapes. What focal length do you use for that? With my Nikon (I mainly shoot Digital SLR) I use a prime 50mm f/1.4 - is there anything comperable to that and cheap (key word!)

Anyway, thanks for your help/reading.

Adam Wiener
    PS If you'd like, you can see some of the photo work I've done at http://photofusiondenver.com

Re: Interested in Starting Out

See if you can find a Busch Pressman or Crown/Speed/Super Graphic press camera with a 135mm lens (roughly equivalent to a 35mm lens in 35mm terms). You should be able to get one for around $300 on Ebay. You could use that for a while, and sell it for about the same price when you are done or decide to upgrade. Another option might be a cheap Cambo/Calumet monorail at $150-200, with another $100 that could go towards an older 150mm lens. That would be a little less portable, though.

Good luck!

probably a Calumet monorail would be cheaper than a good working Speed Graphic. For a good undervalued lens consider a 162mm Wollensak Velostigmat or the newer Raptar (coated) If you look hard you might find a 203 Ektar under $200. The 127 Ektar is cheap and plentiful but don't have any wiggle room on a 4x5.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

B&J press camera. More movements then your average press camera. Easier to carry then the monorail. Cheap.

With some time you should easily get a B&J and then buy a used modern lens in the range of 135mm to 210mm.

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

Decent monorails go fairly cheap, but they are not very portable, IMO. For feild use, I think the Crown Graphic, despite lack of rear and some front movements, is overall the toughest and simplest to use 4x5 camera ever made.

Also, the lack of some movements on the Crown Graphic, IMO, make it an easier camera to learn LF on - at least for some people. It's pretty hard to mess up with a Crown Graphic. As for other "press cameras" I have owned and used Speed Graphics and Super Graphics, and i still think the Crown the best one overall. Despite owning about four, 4x5 cameras, I've never sold or even thought of selling my Crown - there's still times it comes in useful.

I reccomend a good 135mm lens to start. I think that is th emost sueful lens ever made for 4x5 shooting. However, very good used lenses in 150 and 210mm often show up so if the price is right, don't be afraid to start with one of those. But look for a newer lens, stay away from the "old classics" as unless you know what you are getting, they can be more trouble than they are worth, or you will find because they are a "classic" lens, they command a premium price that IMO, is often unreasonable. As much as I loved my old Kodak 135mm WF Ektar, I sold it and bought a new Rodenstock Sironar 135mm.

joe
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?

The where part is just as important as the what part. Otherd have already pointed you to somegood inexpensive options and there are others. Wehre you buy your initial camera is also important. You canget it on eBay and maybe save a few dollars or from a reputable dealer and have the luxury of returning it if it is not what you want or expected. Call Jim at Midwest Photo Exchange .... they are the absolute best for LF used equipment and always have a large selection of reasonably priced used equipment. 614-261-1264. He will assist you in your purchase and take it back ifyou don't like it.
    Last edited by Ted Harris; 27-Jun-2006 at 05:54.

Before you buy a camera may I suggest some reading

Using the View Camera that I wrote or Jack Dykinga's book Large Format Nature Photography. Try your local library.. I would stay away from the Strobel book View Camera Technique as an intro book, it is a tome IMHO, Jim Stone has a book User's Guide to the View Camera that is another one I recommend.

Go to the View Camera web site and then to the Free Articles section. There are several articles that might be very helpful to you

www.viewcamera.com

good luck

steve simmons

There is lots of very good information on the front page of this site. As Ted said, buy from a reputable dealer, Midwest, and Jim are very good.

Hi

I got a Crown Graphic of ebay for less than $200 and it is in very good nick. Has a 135mm Optar lens which is a very handy length, something like a 40mm in 35mm terms and thus a good all rounder to get one into things until you know what you really want.
    Something I can recommend is a Grafmatic back ( ideally in good condition with straight septums ) - it makes life so (!) much easier as you can load 6 shots in advance and cycle rapidly through them. Also have a Readyload, but film for that is much more expensive.

Of late been shooting handheld HP5+ ( really what press cameras were made for ) and I think there is lots of potential.

I also considered monorails, but am very glad I got the crown as it folds up reasonably compact in very strong / robust box shape which packs easily + sets up very quickly.

Enjoy !
    Dawid

Quote Originally Posted by steve simmons
    Before you buy a camera may I suggest some reading

Using the View Camera that I wrote or Jack Dykinga's book Large Format Nature Photography. Try your local library.. I would stay away from the Strobel book View Camera Technique as an intro book, it is a tome IMHO, Jim Stone has a book User's Guide to the View Camera that is another one I recommend.
    steve simmons
    Excellent advice... especially if you want to make sure you're not going down the wrong path!

I especially second the comment on the Strobel book... it's NOT an introductory book by any stretch of the imagination!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!