Thread: Durst 138 problem

Durst 138 problem

Hallo

I hope there is someone who can shed some light on a problem I have using a Durst 138 with a Ilford 500 VC head mounted as light source. When using the light box/ fittings for doing 6x6 I can not get the lens ( a 80mm El nikkor) close enough to the negative to focus it. That is with the lens turned up all the way/ bellows compressed and there doesn't seem to be a way to get it any closer.

Its probably less than an inch away from focussing. I've tried playing around with the neg carrier with no success.

Cheers
    Dawid

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Re: Durst 138 problem

You need a recessed lens board. And then the aperture ring will be very difficult to reach with normal fingers...

The 138 is very simmaler to a S45, no? If so you want a latub. It's a tube that has built in appature controlls for a recessed lens. I don't know if you need different model latubs for different lenses though.

use a longer focal length enlarging lens eg 105 or even 135.

Recessed lensboards for the 138 are usually available on ebay. I bought one for a 50mm for mine for about $10. It interferes with the rotation of the lens turret, though. To change lenses, you have to take the lens mount out, rotate to a new position and put the lens back in... My 138 came with the turret and is not really useful for me. Replacing it is more cost than it is worth, though, so I just put in the lens that I need and ignore the turret.
    Michael

The Durst manual calls for a "Setopla" model lensboard for a 80mm lens. If the Nikon has a 39mm mount you want a Setopla #2839. I use a 80mm Schneider in a #2839 and have no trouble reaching the aperture ring or seeing the lit f/stop scale. The ring is just below the level of the turet mount. I can't say if another lens would have the aperture ring within the recess.

As Hans' said using a longer lens and adjusting the format masks will work just fine. You might even find more even lumination.

I reversed the lens board on my 80mm lens and it worked fine. Granted the bevel of the lens board doesn't match but it does work and it doesn't leak light.