Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thus speaks Chuang Tsu II

Thus speaks Chuang Tsu II

Once upon a time, I, Chuang Tsu, dreamed I was a butterfly flying happily here and there, enjoying life without knowing who I am. Suddenly I woke up and I was indeed Chuang Tsu. Did Chuang Tsu dream he was a butterfly, or did the butterfly dream he was Chuang Tsu? There must be some distinction between Chuang Tsu and the butterfly. This is a case of transformation.

Re: Thus speaks Chuang Tsu II

{ }

You must meet Gregor Samsa some time...

"As Gregor Samsa awake one morning from a troubled dream, he found himself changed..."

I met Gregor many years ago.

The difference is Chuang Tsu can blissfully change back and forth, while our poor Gregor could not get out of his nightmare of being a bug.

I'll bite.

I think Chuang Tsu dreamed he was a butterfly, because the butterfly that was dreamed, thought human thoughts - happily flying, enjoying life.

The butterfly has no time for such fluff, I've checked, they're very busy. Sole mission is to eat and avoid the enemy until those damned catepillar eggs are made and laid. Even after the work is done, it dreams a nanosecond and it's bird food or one of our cats'll swat it to death.

In other words, were a butterfly doing the dreaming, the dream wouldn't last long enough to spell "Chuang T...."

So in my opinion, you are not a butterfly. Maybe something else though.
    Last edited by bruce terry; 19-Jun-2006 at 21:27.

Bruce,

"In other words, were a butterfly doing the dreaming, the dream wouldn't last long enough to spell "Chuang T...." "

Isn't our sense of time is relative too? Do you sometimes feel that moment is eternity? Don't you think that our belief is somewhat limited by our perceptions and experiences as human being? I know I don't know.

But isn't imagination and dreaming the most beautiful thing in this world?

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Zhang
    Bruce,

Do you sometimes feel that moment is eternity?
    Eternity is a one second exposure in a gusty wind.

Not entirely apropos, but to follow up Mr. Sims;
    "Fame is an old newspaper blowing down Bleecker Street in the wind."
    Jack Kerouac

"Isn't our sense of time is relative too? Do you sometimes feel that moment is eternity? Don't you think that our belief is somewhat limited by our perceptions and experiences as human being? I know I don't know."

Hugo - Yes, yes and certainly yes, for that butterfly fluttering in the garden may be megadreaming while carrying-out his mission because he has known since larvahood that he is fated to lay his eggs before being swated by the cat, and is not worried. Or maybe his tiny brain, by our puny standards, can do many things at once. I - who can't even pat my stomach while rubbing my head - am clueless.

The blue glass on the table. We both agree it is blue, but your blue is red and my blue is yellow. How do we communicate that? Maybe we ask a butterfly.
    Last edited by bruce terry; 20-Jun-2006 at 07:09.

All is one - so both.
    juan