Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oppinions on Glennview photo

Re: Oppinions on Glennview photo

I have bought a packard shutter from him. Not cheap, but reliable.

I no longer deal with Glenn. He sold me an 8x10 ground glass that purported to be an original Deardorff glass and wasn't. When I returned it I asked that my shipping charges be refunded as well as the purchase price becuase the glass clearly wsn't what I had ordered. He refunded the purchase price but not the $30 or so shipping charges. The dollar amount isn't major but his refusal to refund it, as well as the misrepresentation itself, says something about his integrity I think.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Smile Re: Oppinions on Glennview photo

I purchased a Sinar part about one year ago, based on the web site description. When the item arrived I found that the description was precise. I probably could have gotten the part slightly cheaper if I had waited longer for it to turn up in an auction, but glennview had the item in stock. I was satisfied with the transaction and would buy again if I needed something immediately that they had in stock.

I've bought from him and found him pricey on most things but a reliable dealer. Frank describes him pretty well.

Steve

I bought a lensboard from him. It was a quality piece of work and I am very satisfied with it. I think hes a good resource particularly for ULF shooters. It certainly isn't a "discount" outfit, but few things in ULF-land are.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio
    He has a gruff "personality" and doesn't always answer his emails. But he has been around nearly forever and knows his stuff - if he can't get it, he can make it.

He made a light weight conversion kit for the Sinar F which is pretty cool, as well as some sweet ULF Sinar adaptations.

And is yet another dealer/supplier who doesn't know how to build a decent webpage.

But he is honest. Sometimes brutally so.
    Honest?

Is it honest to offer for sale a Computar 305mm f/9 lens as a "~300mm ~F8 lens to cover 12X20"?

Is that not deception. Can a person be at the same time both honest and deceptive?

At the very least this practice is, IMHO, unethical.

Sandy
    Last edited by sanking; 17-Jun-2006 at 00:26.

Well, I didn't buy that lens, I only know about my dealings. Thanks, now we all have a better idea.

Did he offer a full refund? Or was that just a deceptive listing which you might attribute to ignorance (if he didn't have a loft full of ULF stuff).

Glenn did some custom metal work for me a few years back on trade. The work was well conceived and well done, and I was very pleased with it. I think of Glenn and Jeff Kay of Lens and Repro in a similar way; both provide the uncommon (goods or knowledge) for a premium cost.

multiplex

i bought a 35mm recommar back from him so i could shoot 35mm film on a 4x5. he made me a board (with the bead ) to use it on cameras i have with graflok backs as well. it wasn't cheep, but the back and board both suited me well for the handful of years i used them.

i don't have enough money to buy anything else from him ( or lens and repro ) ..

-john

I bought a 210 mm f/9 Repro Claron from him for $ 275. The condition was described as "mint". It had various round spots on the front lens. All but one were easily cleaned off with iso-propylic alcohol. Now, when I look at the lens again, I can not retrieve hat last spot either. Maybe the alcohol had a long-term effect. In the end, I'm satisfied.
    Hening