Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Oppinions on Glennview photo

Oppinions on Glennview photo

Has anyone used this site for purchasing equipment, how was your experience?

Re: Oppinions on Glennview photo

Never heard of them, can you give us a URL?

http://www.glennview.com/

Think twice before clicking on the "View Cameras and accessories" link if you have a slow web connection, or else set your browser to disable graphics download - that page loads a grillion jpg's of the merchandise.

His main notoriety in these parts is for his long-running schtick of buying Computars and then reselling them at sky-high prices as unidentified super mystery lenses with monster coverage, as in this listing of a 305mm f/9 Computar:

~300mm ~F8 lens to cover 12X20". It will cover more than 12X20"; how much more is yet to be determined. I will be adding more info about the lens' capabilities as time allows. Although it is the 1st such lens of this focal length I have had--I have had other focal lengths of the lens that have performed beautifully. It is a rare lens. I have been looking for it for years--ever since I knew it was made. The lens is a fairly modern factory coated lens in a #3 Copal shutter. It is a small lens. There is a cleaning scratch on the surface of the front element. It is a great lens and anyone who buys it for 12X20 or smaller format usage will de delighted with it. There is a 25% restocking charge if returned--for the same reasons as with similar 210mm lens. $3300.

He has a gruff "personality" and doesn't always answer his emails. But he has been around nearly forever and knows his stuff - if he can't get it, he can make it.

He made a light weight conversion kit for the Sinar F which is pretty cool, as well as some sweet ULF Sinar adaptations.

And is yet another dealer/supplier who doesn't know how to build a decent webpage.

But he is honest. Sometimes brutally so.
    Last edited by Frank Petronio; 12-Jun-2006 at 17:06.

Photo Dilettante Donald Brewster's Avatar

My experience echoes Frank's. Mr. Evans has been a decent, honest guy on the whole in my few dealings with him. Sometimes he seeks over the top prices for some of his goods, but I choose not to buy those items. Mr. Evans is certainly a knowledgeable guy, and he certainly has an opinion and point of view.

Well I want an item he has and the price is aggreable I just wanted to see if he's reliable. Honest and prone to angry is fine with me as long as he's honest.

Like Donald and Frank, I've bought from Mr. Evans, and found him honest.

I've had good dealings with him. The deep info on Dursts is a blessing for which he is much under-appreciated.

Geos

I recently ordered a lens from him for a descent price, but found that the grading (excellent) was a little too much. It should have been listed as optically excellent, but otherwise average.