Thread: Scanning prints

Scanning prints

How do you guys get good scans of your prints?
    I have no problems doing nice 4x5 negative scans, but scanning my 8x10 contact prints is frustrating. The prints look really good, but as soon as I scan them, the scans look coarse and not sharp. I use an Epson 4870. Have tried scanning at various resolutions, different methods of sharpening etc, but I`n not too happy with the results. Any input?

Re: Scanning prints

Quote Originally Posted by Amund BLix Aaeng
    I have no problems doing nice 4x5 negative scans, but scanning my 8x10 contact prints is frustrating. The prints look really good, but as soon as I scan them, the scans look coarse and not sharp.
    First thing I'd suggest is that you need to scan at significantly above final resolution and downsize, rather than scanning at final resolution. This lets the downsizing average away things like grain artifacts and sensor noise, and you can then use sharpening after the downsize to restore the "crisp" feel of the contact print. I've been very happy with scanning my 8x10 prints (not contact prints, but from 6x9 cm and 4x5 inch negatives) at 600 ppi, then downsizing to web size. The file from the initial scan is still small enough to handle well in 1 GB RAM on 2.6 GHz processor (Win98, GIMP or PS5 LE), but there's plenty of spare resolution to make a final image that preserves the appearance of the print.

Also, when downsizing, pay attention to what resizing method your software is using -- ideally, you'd want a bicubic resample, rather than a simple interpolation; this will do a better job of preserving small details (in my experience) and doesn't take a lot longer (I can only see the difference when I'm starting from a file of around 40 megapixels or larger, 8 bit per channel grayscale). And small details are much of what makes a contact print different from an enlargement, after all.
    If a contact print at arm's length is too small to see, you need a bigger camera. :D

Thanks for your answer Donald. After extensive Googling I find a method that seems okay. I scan so I have file that`s about 50mb, and downsize with bicubic sharper in 50% steps, with some very slight USM for each step, that helped a lot, and I finally got a printscan that I`m pretty pleased with.

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

Another thing to keep in mind is that the plane of focus of the scanner is sometimes slightly above the glass. For example, the Epson 4990 that I use comes with film holders that elevate the transparencies a few millimeters above the glass. If I scan film (or prints) directly on the glass, they will be slightly out of focus. I suggest you look into this and possibly make a cardboard frame that will elevate the prints slightly for scanning.
    Brian Vuillemenot