Thread: Cool and Cheap Field Camera Bag

Dave Karp

Cool and Cheap Field Camera Bag

Hi all,

I was at on of my favorite photo supply stores today (Sav On Pharmacy), and found a very nice bag to use as a car carrying case for a 4x5 field camera, some lenses, and film holders. It cost all of $15!

It is a "California Innovations Collapsible Cooler Deluxe." The case is divided into two compartments. One, will hold approximately 10 film holders standing on end. It has a two zipper closure. The other side, will hold a field camera (I have a Walker Titan SF and a Crown Graphic - either one fits fine) and some lenses and accessories. This compartment also has a two zipper closure. To get an idea of the size, it will easily hold my Walker and two 4x6 index file boxes (that is how I carry my lenses).

There are two mesh pockets with velcro closures, one on each end. There is a third mesh pocket with a zipper closure on the side. These are great for things like cable releases, rubber lens hoods, etc. The case has a built in handle and provision for a should strap (included). One of those neoprene Optech straps will work nicely with this case. The shell is nylon. Mine is in burgundy and black. The entire case folds pretty flat when empty.

The inside has removable seamless liners. The case is fully insulated, which should help protect the camera, lenses, and film.

My plan is to use this to hold my Crown Graphic, a lens or two, some film holders and filters. This is going to be my "car kit" that I will take with me to work, etc. for use when I stumble on an opportunity for a photograph that has to be made.

I will make a photo later and try to upload it.

Just another chapter in my endless quest for cheap and useful photo accessories.

Re: Cool and Cheap Field Camera Bag

Is this it?

http://store.ca-innovations.com/merc...catid=2&step=4

Looks handy. I use a shoulder bag similar in design, but without the compartments. Nice find. I'm always looking for low cost solutions as well. I'd much rather spend my limited budget on film and chemicals than yet more gear.

- Randy
    Last edited by reellis67; 9-Jun-2006 at 20:55.

Dave Karp

Nope, it is not one of those. I poked around the California Innovations website and couldnot find one like mine anywhere. I checked the label, and it says the case is an "Albertson Exclusive." Albertsons is a local grocery chain that recently bought the Sav On Pharmacy chain. I checked both of their websites and could not find my case there either. The label describes the case as a 27 can (18+9) cooler.

I will take a photo later and upload it so you can see what it looks like.
    Last edited by David Karp; 9-Jun-2006 at 21:10.

Dave Karp

OK, if I did everything correctly, here are a few quick snaps.

Attachment 136 Attachment 137 Attachment 138

California Innovations also makes some smaller insulated lunch carriers that are the perfect size for (6) 5x7 film holders. Those come with a second, smaller, insulated drink container, which conveniently holds a zoom lens for my 35mm camera and a shoulder strap. A zippered outer pocket holds markers and labels & the like. I picked up a couple at Meijer's locally in Michigan and thought I was getting a bargain for $7 each. when I got to register, I was told they were on sale for $4 each. When I travel by air, I pack the empty holders in my Martha Stewart (K-mart) storage containers and stick them in the lower compartment of my rolling duffle. The CI lunch bags hold my sealed boxes of film which I carry on with me. It's amazing what great containers you can find cheaply as long as they are not intended for photography or art supplies! Fishing supply places are another great source for inexpensive containers.

Dave Karp

Robert,

Very true. I have another, larger, California Innovations product that has a collapsible handle and wheels. It is large enough to carry my MF LowePro bag, and I used it to keep my equipment hidden and protected while in the car. I sort of forgot about it until I found this new case, so I am going to dust it off and see how it handles my LF gear! I also have several Arctic Zone 6 pack coolers that are the perfect size for 4x5 film holders (about the same size as the film holder side of my new bag).

Dave Karp

I mispoke. Albertsons actually sold Sav On fairly recently, so my guess is that if you are interested, you are more likely to find one of these bags in an Albertsons store.