Thread: kodak projection printer...

kodak projection printer...

I purchased this 8x10 Kodak Projection Printer years ago from a Estate .........I modified it with a Aristo 8x10 Cold Light....I used it quite often for printing 8x10 and 4x5 negatives. I could print up to 20x24 projected onto the floor.

I know this was made by Kodak in the late 1800's ....anybody know where I can get more info on it?

I have never seen any of these on line...wondering how much it is worth now in 2006....

Thanks
    Last edited by Josh E; 9-Jun-2006 at 17:58.

Re: kodak projection printer...

Quote Originally Posted by Josh E
    wondering how much it is worth now in 2006....
    Would that be with or without the Vise-Grips?

As it stands now, it'd be worth about the same as any other 8x10 vertical enlarger, perhaps a bit less than a modern one with things like auto-focus, power head, etc. and a more rigid mount for the head. In original as-sold condition, there'd likely be some collector value, if you could bring it to the attention of one of the three living collectors of late-19th-century 8x10 enlargers...

FWIW, I'd love to have one in this class, especially if I could mount casters on the baseplate -- but I don't have any money, nor do I (yet) have an 8x10 camera.
    If a contact print at arm's length is too small to see, you need a bigger camera. :D

Talking Re: kodak projection printer...

I know those vise grips alone are worth alot!! ha ha ha .....

do you know anyone who is a collector where I could inquire about it? like you mentioned...

It is in my parents basement and they dont want it there anymore. I don't have a darkroom at my studio because we have gone totally digital.

any help would be appreciated....

Thanks....
    Last edited by Josh E; 11-Jun-2006 at 11:30.

Well, the problem is that people are currently giving away 8x10 enlargers and finding it hard to find anyone to cart them away. I expect this will prove to be a short term trend as the film market stabilizes and people rediscover that you can make *really big* prints from an 8x10 negative and still have them look good, but for the next year or two, the cost of shipping is enough deterrent that even a "free for the hauling" enlarger is likely to wind up in the landfill if there isn't a local taker.

Have you considered breaking it down and storing it?

Also, you might mention where it's at, and post it in the "for sale" part of the board...
    If a contact print at arm's length is too small to see, you need a bigger camera. :D

I would like to break down and put it somewhere. The thing is that this unit was made in the 1890's by Kodak It could be a collectors item. I have never seen anything like this out there in field.

I was hoping to find someone who deals with antiques and have them point me to someone who might want to put it in a collection.

I am going to try to contact someone at Kodak and see if they have a archive of very old products that they made.

J

FWIW, Josh, my guess would be that if you still have the original light source, a collector might be interested. If not, the only people who will be interested are those local-ish folks who could actually use it to make prints from 8x10 negs.

Unfortunately I do not have the original light source. When I purchased it through a estate sale, they did not have it there.

I did purchase though 2 cherry view camera's a 5x7 and a 8x10.

Those are beauties and are on shelves in my studio for display.

Thank you all for your comments....

Contact Todd Gustavsson at the George Eastman House for info on your printer. Kodak donated their patent museum to GEH some years back, and it's unlikely now that you could find anyone at EK who would know.