Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reflex viewers or focusing hoods

Reflex viewers or focusing hoods

I've got an Ebony SV45Ti that the previous owner modified to accept a Cambo reflex viewer. I was also able to purchase a used Ebony bellows focusing hood for this camera, but with the modification it doesn't quite fit without me doing some modifications myself to the mounting hardware. At this point, I'm not sure whether to modify the existing hardware or look into getting a reflex viewer since they had already piqued my interest earlier.

My question is what viewers are available that would work well on the Ebony. I know the Horseman bino viewers are nice but I've not had any luck finding one. Does anyone have any experience with different viewers? How much are they? Any insights?

Re: Reflex viewers or focusing hoods

FWIW, Andrew, I have a reflex viewer for my Toyo. While it's fairly nice, it's a non-folding metal design. So, it's too bulky for convenient field use. IIRC, the Horseman model folds, but I might be wrong on that.

I have both a Cambo Reflex viewer and a bellows focusing hood with a magnifier (from Robert White). I use them both with my SW45. Initially I tended to use the reflex viewer more often, but as I got used to viewing the image upside down I have used it less and less. In fact, it is so bulky that these days, now that I think of it, I only use a combination of black T-shirt and bellows focusin hood.

I know the Horseman model folds. Is that the only one? How much do they go for?

Post Re: Reflex viewers or focusing hoods

If you are feeling weighed down by the Cambo viewer, I'd be MORE THAN happy to take it off your hands . Consider it a charitable donation to a starving student. Good luck w/ your search!
    Kerey K Barnowe-Meyer
    www.kerey.com

I had one of the Sinar binocular reflex finders for the 4x5 and found myself constantly gravitating to a good darkcloth more often than not.

As Ralph said, some of them don't fold up... so lugging them into the field is one giant pita! I never did take it out but know of others that have... to each their own!

So, if your intention is to take it out into the field... I'd think the bellows focusing hood would be much more portable and far more convenient to use. Again, YMMV!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

I used the Robert White focusing bellows on a 45Te for about a month. I didn't like it. You had to move the bellows from left to right and up and down to see the edges even with a moderate wide angle lens. It also wasn't very good in dim light.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerey
    If you are feeling weighed down by the Cambo viewer, I'd be MORE THAN happy to take it off your hands . Consider it a charitable donation to a starving student. Good luck w/ your search!
    I don't actually have the Cambo viewer. The camera was fitted with hardware to accept a Cambo viewer but I don't have it. Sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis
    I used the Robert White focusing bellows on a 45Te for about a month. I didn't like it. You had to move the bellows from left to right and up and down to see the edges even with a moderate wide angle lens. It also wasn't very good in dim light.
    Thanks! This is good feedback. I've got the Ebony bellows, but haven't really gotten a chance to use it in real life since the hardware isn't compatible at the moment. Just trying to figure out if it's worth it to use the bellows or if I should rather choose a viewer as a better option.

Anyone use the Horseman folding bino viewer?

Andrew,

I have both the Ebony bellows viewer w/magnifier and the Cambo Reflex viewer. When I first purchased my SV45U, I purchased it with a Ebony bellows viewer thinking it would be sufficient. When I realized it was not, mostly because I could not see the entire image, I contacted Ebony about a possible modification to the camera back to accept my old Cambo reflex hood. To make a long story short, all I had to do was send the Cambo viewer to Japan and the modification was made. What they actually did was attach the bottom frame of one of their bellows viewer on the bottom of the Cambo viewer, so the modification that was made to your camera back is not the same as my viewer modification. Buying the Bellows Viewer was not a total lose as I find the loupe that came with it to be a useful tool and would purchase a second one if I was to loose what I have. I mainly use it to see what my lens is set at from above. My eyes are starting to go now that I am 48.