Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Light weight 4x5 field tripod.

Re: Light weight 4x5 field tripod.

The Bogen 3047 is a fairly lightweight head IIRC - good for a camara in the 7.5 Kg range, yes? You might be able to get away with the Gitzo 1227.

I've been using one for about four years now. Admittedly, my camera is extremely light weight (Toho, less than 1.25 Kg). But the tripod is quite rigid. I've never lost a shot due to motion or camera shake that I could blame on the tripod (I do have a 90 second exposure taken on soggy ground with some motion blur due to my moving around the tripod, but I can hardly blame that on the tripod. It's more a problem of my being restless!).

IMHO, most people buy more tripod than they need. It can't fail because overkill never does. But why lug around more weight than you need to? The price of going overkill with a tripod is shorter hiking distances, and being more tired as you set up and work the camera. Being tired is a receipe for making mistakes. So... I think you should look at using the least amount of tripod you can if you are going to hike any distance at all with it.

That said, if you are doing the car thing, it doesn't matter as much. In that case, I'd go for less expensive.

Sorry I don't know anything about the Bogen CF line. I've never even seen one.

Bruce Watson

I also use the Gitzo 1227, with the Acratach ball head, and find it sturdy enough for my Sinar, though I mostly use it with the Toho. I have removed the center column and replaced it with the Markins base to increase stability.

"replaced it with the Markins base to increase stability"

What is this?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I think the Gitzo 13xx models are slightly overkill for 4x5, so I always recommend the G1228, which is plenty for my 4x5, and in fact I've even used it with 8x10 in a pinch.

I've used that same setup for over 20 years and it's still going strong. It works well with my Korona 4x5 as well as various MF gear and the miniature stuff too.

- Randy

Light weight??? I just checked B&H and a Bogan 3047 head by itself weighs nearly 5 pounds. What in #$%$#$'s name do you mean "light weight?"
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Scott Davis

Kirk -

I have a Bogen 443 CF legset (not sure what the current equivalent model is), and it has been wonderful. IIRC, you're a little bit taller than me, so you too would need the center column at times. This is not a big deal, as it is quite stable when used at less than half extension of the center column. I have it coupled to a Gitzo 1276m head, which works great with my Shen Hao, and anything smaller/lighter. I tested out my Calumet C-1 8x10 on it with a 3039 head, and even with that massive load, it held its own. I wouldn't want to do that on a regular basis, but for short-term useage, it worked fine.

Kirk- I suspect that the 3047 head on the 3021 legs would be a bit top heavy; perhaps that contributed to your dislike of the 3021 legs. I use a 329 low profile quick release head on the 3021 legs with good success (with a Toyo AX).

Have a grand trip. I may not be far behind you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings
    "replaced it with the Markins base to increase stability"

What is this?
    This http://www.markinsamerica.com/MA5/category.php?req=4

kind regards - Hening
    Hening

I have been using a Giotto CF tripod 8180 (rated 26.5 lbs), weighs 5.73 lbs. I have a Bogen 3042 head but find that it does not hold my DD 8x10 well. I used a Marchioni Tiltall for many years with a Busch 4x5 D, and a couple of years ago I removed the center col. and made a 1/4-20 mounting plate for it to save weight. It works OK for up to 5x7--a little awkward for set-up, but carrying everything in Europe made saving every ounce necessary. The Giotto is all that it is advertized to be, holds the 8x10, has 3/8 and 1/4-20 threads, and is just as light.
    Michael