Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TOP lightmeters starlite vs L558 vs Flashmeter VI

Re: TOP lightmeters starlite vs L558 vs Flashmeter VI

Another vote for the 558. It's great to be able to spotmeter the highlights and then switch to incident for the foreground. Plus it'll remember a whole bunch of readings and display them simultaneously. Great for working out where to place your midtones.

I don't recall if the Minolta meter you mention has spot metering capability. That canbe an important consideration depending on what you intend to use the meter for. If most of you ruse is outside and you will be limited to reflected metering from a distance then a spotmeter is a real plus. If, on the other hand, you are working indoors, shooting interiors and can use an incidence meter then perhaps the need for the spot meter isn't so great. Beyond that, do you need a flash meter? Once you h ave considered all the capabilities you want in a meter pick the one that fits your shooting style best,that feels good in your hand,whose display you like, etc.

Holy wars have raged over meters but basically they are nothing more than a reference tool and you can calibrate your shooting to any meter that works so pick one you like.

Thumbs up L558 is a great meter!

Another vote for the 558. A remarkably accurate, simple to use, versatile meter. While it seemed pricey, I've never looked back since getting it. Every feature I could want, when I want it, and simple when I'm in a hurry.

If you do end up getting one, or any spot meter for that matter, find a way to prevent stray light from falling on the front while you take readings. The 558 has a threaded filter-ring adapter that doubles as a small lens shade. You can then also install a really cool pop up cap that works as a lens cover - deploys in one press of the little red arm with your index finger. For me, this is the best setup. See attached photos for shade and cap.

That's very cool, Ed. Where did you get the pop up cap? I'm considering a Sekonic 558 as a replacement for both my Pentax Spotmeter V and Gossen Ultra Pro flashmeter, and would love to have the flip cap as an addition.

Filmtools.com has them. Show them a photo of it if they aren't sure which pieces. They may have the filter adapter/shade, the popup cap, and possibly the meter itself, although they cater primarily to the film production trade ( don't buy the Cine version of the 558 unless you need cine features - it costs much more ).

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Harris
    I don't recall if the Minolta meter you mention has spot metering capability.
    I've got a Flashmeter VI, and it does both spot and ambient.

I was carrying aroud both a Flashmeter IV and a Pentax Spotmeter V, and I've now replaced them both with the FLashmeter VI. I cannot recommend it enough!

The FM VI does show spot info in the viewfinder, which I find essential with a spot meter. Why spend all that time trying to remember a value when you can simply see it in the display. And it displays in real time - hold the button in, and then scan the scene, and it will show you the readings. It can display in both f/stop and difference from a reference measurement. I usually meter a desired value, and then lock that point into memory, and then take readings in defference mode to see the range of brightness in the scene.

Another thing I like about the FM VI, is I can meter in ambient, lock that reading as a reference, and then take difference readings in either ambient or spot. Really handy and quick.

I would not worry about the meter not lasting. My FM IV is about 20 years old and it still works great. The FM VI seems very similar in build and I would expect a long life as well.

If you pass on the FM VI, look at the Starlite. I borrowed one for a day and it had a really nice Zone System metering system and scale display built right into the meter.

Just to add my $0.02 I've used Minolta meters in the past and very much liked them. When I needed a spot meter I purchased a Gossen Starlite mainly because it is more weather and rain resistant than the other ones. Important when one is trudging around forests and glens with the early morning dew. I can't compare it to any of the Sekonics, though that was the one I orginally had my heart set on. Love the Gossen, but I have to admit it is the first fairly high end meter I've ever owned and considering it cost more than some of my lenses, I guess I better!

How about when you make your purchase you write a review after awhile and let us know how you made out? Would be great for the rest of us. Good luck!

PJ

I bought the last Minolta flashmeter VI from B&H. I like Minolta meters having used the flashmeter II, 2 flashmeter III, 2 spotmeter M so I picked the Minolta. One thing I miss on the FM VI as compared to the Starlight or the L-558 is the ability to do non cord in spot mode. Other features are missing as well but I don't miss them like aperture priority mode, better analyzing feature on the Sekonic etc..