Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Your Real Name (and Date of Birth reminder)

Doug Dolde

Re: Your Real Name (and Date of Birth reminder)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Marshall
    How do I change my date of birth?
    You have to die and come back in a new body.

great but what if i don't likr to add my real name ????

Quote Originally Posted by sawa1600 View Post
    great but what if i don't likr to add my real name ????
    We prefer that people use their real names as their login ID, but don't strictly enforce the policy. The use of real names tends to make people more responsible, and provides greater credibility in most cases. But, there are exceptions, of course.

The real name field in user profiles, as noted earlier in the thread, is visible only to the moderators. Those who choose to hide their identity from both the other users and the administrators are "suspect", but tolerated.

You know, once you've designed DVD box art for a company that produces soft-core films, and you used you're real name, and the brand new woman in your life Googles you and sees things like "The Erotic Mirror", the whole "maybe I shouldn't use my real name with the Large Format crowd" issue suddenly doesn't carry that much weight.

"But honey, it was an art film..."

Okay moderators, is this your official line:

"We don't trust you to be courteous, regardless of your public record at this site, without surrendering personal information that could potentially put you at risk of identity theft, or worse, but you should trust us to safeguard that personal information based on nothing more than our stated policy and our good word"?

And if we disagree you'll say it's chickenshit? This is not the kind of community I care to be a part of. Please cancel my membership and delete my posts.

Bule

Bule - I have no idea where you came up with that statement as the official policy of the forum. The official policy is stated in the FAQ, linked in the blue navigation bar.

But, if you are uncomfortable after reading the FAQ, and the responses from moderators (as opposed to comments from other forum members), you are certainly welcome to request deletion of your account and posts via the "contact us" link.

Ralph, isn't my summary of your position accurate? You claim requiring members to provide personal information will somehow make us more courteous, and you've implied a distrust of those who prefer not to do so, calling their preferrence "chickenshit", which is very moderate of you, by the way. When members have expressed well founded concerns regarding providing personal information, you've asked us to trust that you moderators, models of integrity that you are, will not share our personal information. If I might continue your euphemism; bullshit, just like your claim that collecting personal information somehow provides some legal protection, when the legislation aims to prevent the collection of personal information, not to encourage it. Unless you intend to extend your interactions with members beyond this site, it makes absolutely no difference what name the members choose to use here; all of their comments and posts are attributable to them, by whatever name they choose. If you do intend to extend your interactions with members beyond this site, that's cause for concern. If I want to extend my interactions with other members beyond this site, I can easily send a PM giving my personal email address, as I've done, and others have done for me. I think this change in policy reflects nothing more or less than the moderators' selfish curiosity about the identities of members, and a complete disregard for the privacy of the membership in general. If other members are willing to put themselves at risk by providing personal information, that's their right, and I respect their decision, just as I respect the decisions of those members who, for reasons of their own, are not willing to provide personal information as a condition of participation. I will never provide the kind of personal information you're demanding, and this will be my last post here. I don't really care whether or not you delete my past posts, and I'm not interested in jumping through any hoops to see it done; I simply won't post here again.

Bule - you are attributing comments to the moderators that were made by others. We're simply trying to conform to a reasonable interpretation of the applicable regulations, since it is we, not the users, who bear the liability, even though the resource is free.

You are, of course, free to do as you wish.

I'm 38. That's all you get. You've got my real name.

I'm hefty 85. Now what Bule says is absolutely correct! How reasonable! What Ralph says is just a week answer that doesn't hold when you look at the reasoning. What liability demands from me to give away my identity with no guarantee for what one can do with it, except week words? Pure rubbish - the liability is a smoke screen for a nasty habit. Bule, you're very right!