Thread: Rollei IR in 510-Pyro

Rollei IR in 510-Pyro

Just developed 6 sheets 5x4 in 510-Pyro, using the Massive Development Chart for guidance. The recommendation was for 22 minutes at 20C in Jobo CPP2. Stop bath was two water rinses, fixed in Fomafix for 3.30 minutes.

The film was exposed with a yellow K2 filter, as I wasn't chasing a Wood effect, just good contrast in the sky. Metered with the Reveni Spotmeter. All sheets came out completely clear, as if I had developed/fixed unexposed film. I can imagine where I might have inadvertently left a dark slide in for one, maybe two sheets of film, but not six.

Has anyone struck this issue before, or has some idea as what might have occurred?

Thanks, Peter.

Re: Rollei IR in 510-Pyro

Hi Peter,

I've just started using 510 Pyro - so take this with a grain of salt - but a couple points: I use the Massive Development Chart as well, but for 510 Pyro - the guide says "DO NOT USE MASSIVE DEV CHART, most times are incorrect." Then in the guide - https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...Data+Sheet.pdf - for Spiral Tanks the 22 minutes sounds about right, but for Jobo tank, which I'm using as well - that seems way to long - I'm getting great results at 8:30 min and below which is reflected in the table at the end of this guide.
    Hope this helps, let me know as I also have some Rollei IR rolls to shoot.

thanks
    shawn

"Completely clear' suggests that you ran the film through the fixer first. I know, I know, you're too smart to have done that- but we've all done it at least once!
    I'm not familiar with the film, developer, or processor, so can't offer any real advice. But it seems to me 22 minutes @20C in any developer should produce some density on the negative. Best of luck next time!

Mark, Not always true. Two weeks ago I exposed also several sheets of Rollei IR. Two with an IR filter, and they came out completely clear.
    Except when checking the notch’s on the film it was not Rollei but something else and the filter blocked all the light, hence the blank sheets.

Once had the same thing happen to me. Shutter sounded like it had fired, but later discovered that it never opened up.

Very strange, indeed. I use this film a lot and have been for many years. Ruling out the mistake of fixer first, I got blank sheets when the shutter didn't fire, when I thought it had, or didn't remove the slide.

I didn't fix first, because my workflow has always been to prepare the fixer when the film is washing after the developer. Tested the shutter twice before each exposure, but that was listening for the the sound of it firing, I didn't actually check it visually. I did check the 150mm G-Claron+K2 filter when I got home and it seemed to be working appropriately. I took 8 exposures that weekend. Six of the sheets, in 510 Pyro, were clear; the final two were developed in Rodinal 1:50 and were very good negatives, a little contrasty but that was what I was after.

I am now thinking it must have been operator error with exposure, nothing else makes sense - somewhat embarassing, I'm afraid. I will be testing the 510 Pyro today, just to confirm it is still active.

Thank you all for the feedback. Cheers, Peter.

As I’m using Rollei IR now more and more, I did some test with different developers and for me HC-110 : 8:45 seems to be the best.
    For now 510-pyro i’m using this for Zebra-dryplates and zebra-tinplates

You may find that Superpan 200 is a little cheaper ( it is in the UK ) and it is the same emulsion and probably same base.