Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Accumulating a large format setup

Re: Accumulating a large format setup

As for developing, if you already have a Patterson 3 tank, I can recommend the B's, 6 sheet 4x5 developing reel as a relatively cheap way to get started.

https://www.bounetphoto.com/bounet-s...eveloping-reel

Bonus is, you can use one tank for all smaller formats with the appropriate reels. I have the 9x12cm version for my Kodak Recomar and Voigtlander plate cameras and it works fine.

Just another option...
    Kino
    We never have time to do it right, but we always seem to have time to do it again...

Quote Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
    Well I'm moving along, having ordered a camera, a tripod, and narrowing down my choices on a lens (probably 150 mm), just to get things started. I'll be spending a while, and probably quite a long while, on going through the motions with the gear to get a feel for things before feeding any film into a camera. That brings me on to the question of developing. I have the bare essentials for 35 mm and 120 film, using a Paterson tank to develop in. I have next to no experience with developing, as the last time was nearly a year ago. I've only done a couple of medium format rolls. But at the time, the large format idea was germinating, and I think I was planning, if the day ever came, to use a Stearman Press tank for 4x5. So I'd like to hear some opinions on that, as I just found some references by people about problems with streaks caused by the holders. If I'd ever heard that before, I'd already forgotten.

All I need from the process is negatives. With those, for the time being, I will just rephotograph them with my digital camera to get files I can use for printing. I should mention that I'll probably shoot and develop a couple more rolls of 120 before I start developing large format.
    Good luck with your new setup.

I think that will do nicely to start with. Thanks for the information. I can hold on the Stearman for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Good luck with your new setup.
    Thank you. Everyone has been most encouraging.

I just came home to the delivered gear (camera and tripod, lens coming tomorrow). All very exciting. I will open it later. That tripod is a substantial piece of kit! I see I won't be strapping that to a backpack.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
    That's good to know.

The camera is a Toyoview monorail. .
    Be aware that the first bellows of Toyo cameras are usually very bad, they start to show pin prick holes pretty fast, so check your bellows carefully. Take the camera to a dark room, and shine light from the inside of your bellows, and check. You could be avoiding a bad first experience with fogged negatives !

otherwise: enjoy !

Best,

Cor

It was mentioned in the sales info that it had several pinholes, so I will be checking for that and to see what else to repair. I imagine I'll also be in the market for a new bellows from eTone at some point.

On examination, definitely a lot more than several holes that allow light through. So I'll probably be getting a new bellows soon. I'm not sure which one on the eTone site is compatible, as the Toyo 45S is not listed, but just sent an email to ask.

Everything else looks good. The tripod is solid as hell and seems to be in full working order, and the camera is a pleasure to handle and operate. First time touching a large format camera! Very nice build quality.
    Last edited by Reverb; 25-Apr-2024 at 20:59.

Don't forget film holders. Sacrifise a few sheets of film to learn to load them and whatever development tank you get.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
    Don't forget film holders. Sacrifise a few sheets of film to learn to load them and whatever development tank you get.
    I have 3 film holders that came with the camera, and a 25-sheet box of film on the way. I will use a few sheets to practice loading the holders.

I've changed my mind about the model number. I think this must be the D45M.

I've tried a basic bellows repair with black acrylic paint, which I'll leave for a few more hours and then see if I missed any pinholes. It seems to have worked well. The exact bellows dimensions don't quite match the two mains sizes for Toyo on eTone's website, so I think if I get a new bellows they'd need to be custom-made. I measured the plastic frame the bellows is glued on to at 159 mm (not 160), and the frame has to fit into a groove on the back of the front and rear board (panel?). The outer diameter of the bellows itself is 145 mm, which again, doesn't seem to match the Toyo bellows sizes on eTone.
    Last edited by Reverb; 28-Apr-2024 at 02:00.