Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Calumet C1 - This camera actually scares me...

Re: Calumet C1 - This camera actually scares me...

Had the green (monster) version ages ago...used it almost exclusively with a 210 f/9 Computar. Acquisition was inspired by Cole Weston...who'd walked me around his, and related how - whenever he and his camera got caught out by a big wave...he'd simply hose the green beast off and let it dry out a bit.

Ultimately did not warm up to 8x10, and ended up using it mostly for jobs where clients demanded 8x10 chromes. I did like the C-1 for its sturdiness and utility. But to carry it around now - as I'm about to hit 70? Heck...my 11x14 (which I still do carry around) is lighter!

C1 made in Chicago

Karsh a very famous location shooter, shot the elect

He used a custom white C1

I have a Book of 100 print Karah Prints

4 are hanging in my museum
    Last edited by Tin Can; 19-Apr-2024 at 05:38. Reason: Corrected
    Tin Can

I have a C-1 "Black Beast" I carry in maybe 1/2 mile from my car after going out scouting to find the first image. I'm not hiking with it - I have other formats for that - that are much lighter than the 8x10 format. The Calumet is very very stable, and has a 34 inch long bellows. Sinar and Arca Swiss system cameras are great systems and can be made longer - but, they are more expensive and are heavy and bulky as well. There are lighter 8x10 cameras but many of them have shorter bellows draw - limiting the flexibility of image making (longer lenses and close-up images). The aluminum C-1 Calumet weights 18 pounds - the rest of my typical 8x10 gear is probably 30 - 40 pounds - when I go out. As an example I have a 355mm G Claron lens that works great on the Calumet - where I have recently used the full bellows draw of 34 inches. I have worked with lenses from 165mm to 450mm on this camera. I am currently 68. I would like a lighter camera but what I see is a lot more expensive. It all depends what you are making images of, the length of lenses used, and the end result that you want to achieve. The point is you need to make images, If you can't use the Calumet C-1 get a different camera. The Calumet C-1 is an industrial tank - but so are all 8x10 cameras (just lighter).