Thread: Reel for rotating development in Paterson three reel tank?

Reel for rotating development in Paterson three reel tank?

Hello everybody,

I supported the AGO development machine on indigogo. I especially find the small footprint in contrast to my cpe2 very appealing. The whole thing works with Paterson tanks. For 135 & 120 this is no problem at all. For 4x5 the three reel tank is required. Hence my question:

Does anyone here have a recommendation for a 4x5 spiral for the “three reel tank” from Paterson, which is suitable for horizontal rotation development? The MOD54 doesn't seem to be able to do that, at least that's what it says on their homepage.

Many thanks for your help.

Ps I already own a cpe2 with matching tanks.

Re: Reel for rotating development in Paterson three reel tank?

JOBO solved the problem a decade ago with the 2520 tank and 2509N reels. Not cheap but works well for 6 sheets

Thank you Vaughn,

I appreciate your answer but that is not what I asked and I mentioned my cpe2 with matching Jobo tanks twice in my post ��

A B's reel may work: https://www.bounetphoto.com/bounet-s...eveloping-reel or you could look for a used 20th Century Camera reel.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post
    A B's reel may work: https://www.bounetphoto.com/bounet-s...eveloping-reel or you could look for a used 20th Century Camera reel.
    That reel is for manual agitation. Which is fine, motors aren't required for developing, I've never used one except for large dry to dry processors.

I don't see an advantage to rotary development unless there is a huge savings in chemicals, like it only takes a few ounces. The downside is hyper development in areas that get more agitation than others.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    That reel is for manual agitation. Which is fine, motors aren't required for developing, I've never used one except for large dry to dry processors.

I don't see an advantage to rotary development unless there is a huge savings in chemicals, like it only takes a few ounces. The downside is hyper development in areas that get more agitation than others.
    Not true. In fact, he sells a motor base for rotation style processing. I've never seen any sign of "hyper development" on either 4x5 or 8x10 with my Jobo Expert drums.

I use the Mod54 holder in my 3-reel Paterson. Bought it from B&H as a bundle a couple months ago with the Mod54 and a tank for about $90. I did have to mod my Mod54. The Mod54 goes over the Paterson tube but it would not agitate properly if I used the handle that gets inserted through the funnel. I corrected it by drilling and tapping both and using a stainless steel screw to get a positive grib for agitating. I can remove the screw and slide off the Mod54 if I should ever want to use other reels.

It does a decent job of developing 6 sheets at a time and is easy enough to load. It does take a liter of chemicals, but I am okay with that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0333.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	249119
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0332.jpg  
    Bill McMannis

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    A downside to continuous agitation is the inability to take advantage of localised compensating effects produced as developer is exhausted and restrainer is produced at edges. Another may be oxidation of the chemicals due to aeration, but typically the developer is used one-shot and not reused.

One issue not mentioned is that the Paterson tank was not intended to be used on its side for rotary development.

AGO have just announced a 4x5 reel just for this purpose. I added one to my order.