Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Fujinon W 180 & 8x10

Re: Fujinon W 180 & 8x10

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I think it is clear there was an empiric observation the 180mm WS only fits a Seiko shutter. S = Seiko. See post #14.
    The 180mm always came in a #1 shutter, and as mentioned in post #14:

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughan View Post
    Of the single-coated lenses, those in size 0 shutters (150mm and shorter) are always Seiko. Lenses in size 1 shutters are often found in either Seiko or Copal.
    And since W S lenses appeared in Copal shutters from 180mm (#1) up to 360mm (#3), the "S" can't refer to "Seiko".

Seiko shutters came in #0 and #1 sizes. The thread pitch of the Seiko #0 shutter is the same as the Copal, Compur and Prontor #0, but the original retaining rings have slightly different shapes.
    There was no Seiko #2 shutter. Shutters marked LS23 were Seiko #1 shutters, which are slightly larger than Copal etc. #1 shutters. Seiko #1 shutters were used for Fujinon 180mm f/5.6, 210mm f/5.6 and 250mm f/6.7 lenses. They can be used to mount Fuji GX680 lenses.

Kumar

That's GREAT information. I've never seen that in any of the Fuji literature (which can be hard to find, and has known errors), but it explains the mystery of the mid-range Fujinon W & W S lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by B.S.Kumar View Post
    There was no Seiko #2 shutter.
    Whoops, My Bad. Kumar is right of course, LS23 is Seiko #1, not #2....

Getting There Set of GX680 Lenses Seiko Shutters by Nokton48, on Flickr

These are all LS23 Seiko #1 Shutters. As you can see I have a few. LOL
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

I know it's a long shot, but has anyone run across any Fuji literature on the W S series of lenses?

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    I know it's a long shot, but has anyone run across any Fuji literature on the W S series of lenses?
    What do you want to know? The published marketing literature has errors and does not really document when specofic chamges were made. The web site (I forget the name right now, jyst search for “fujinon large format lens) is about the best effort to compile everything.

The best reasoning behind the “S” was an indication the lens was made for mounting in a shutter abd not a barrel. Some tessar Fujinar 180mm lenses were barrel and Copal 3.

I haven't had time to pile through these brochures, and you are probably aware of them anyway, but here is a 5 part archive of Fuji Lens information:
    https://archive.org/details/FujinonL....TeoliJr.A.C.1
    Kino
    We never have time to do it right, but we always seem to have time to do it again...

Thanks, I've looked through those JPG archives. I might have missed it, but I don't see anything specific to the W S lenses. The problem seems to be a lack of material on the early FUJINON years. I have literature on the W lenses -- before the NW series -- but nothing on the W S lenses (although a lot of it is undoubtedly the same). Seiko shutters were more prevalent with the early FUJINON lenses -- the time period lacking literature.

Thanks, I've looked through those JPG archives. I might have missed it, but I don't see anything specific to the W S lenses. The problem seems to be a lack of material on the early FUJINON years. I have literature on the W lenses -- before the NW series -- but nothing on the W S lenses (although a lot of it is undoubtedly the same). Seiko shutters were more prevalent with the early FUJINON lenses -- the time period lacking literature.
    You need the right part of the archive.

https://archive.org/details/FujinonL...20%2813%29.jpg

The pages are all mixed up, but I did find some information on the WS series; specifically a lens I just ordered:

https://archive.org/details/FujinonL...20%2874%29.jpg

The WS 250mm f6.7.

Interesting reading...
    Kino
    We never have time to do it right, but we always seem to have time to do it again...