Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deardorff 8x10 Questions

Deardorff 8x10 Questions

Friends ...

I am new to this forum, but not new to large format. I have a Toyo 45A 4x5 that I have used extensively in the past.

I recently was given a Deardorff 8x10 that someone was about to throw out. I know... unbelievable.

It seems to be in working order and in decent shape, but I would like to get the wood refinished and the metal parts refurbished cosmetically. Does anyone have suggestions for someone who has experience in doing this professionally? I also need to have the bellows checked out. They seem okay with a quick flashlight inspection, but I wan't to double check this.

It came with a 4x5 reducing back and I would like to replace that with an original 8x10 back. Where can I find one?

The bottom metal tripod plate is heavily scratched. Any recommendations on getting that cleaned up or finding a replacement?

The camera serial # is 3569. Can anyone estimate the age based on that? My guess is that the camera is from the 1950s, but I really am unsure.

In advance, thanks for any help.

... Ed

Re: Deardorff 8x10 Questions

Ken Hough might know who still does this. He used to, but I believe he's stopped doing so.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Might want to contact Richard Ritter, as he is highly recommended.

Custom Bellows UK is an excellent source for new bellows.

Have used both Richard and Custom Bellows UK and would use them again without reservation…

I 2nd Len's suggestions. I've dealt with both, and I've been very happy with their products, services, and prices.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Eric Woodbury

Check the focus, i.e. the glass placement. I've had several Deardorffs, 810 and 57. The glass is always off. And not even parallel. Usually sloped in one direction. As much as 0.030". That's too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Len Middleton View Post
    Might want to contact Richard Ritter, as he is highly recommended.
    +1. Richard restored a whole plate Century for me - I sent it to him in decrepit condition and got back a cosmetically beautiful, completely functional camera.

As Richard builds his own cameras too, he might be able to make a replacement 8x10 back for you if you can't find one on eBay or wherever.

https://lg4mat.net/page4.html

Ed,

One of the areas you might find helpful in looking to evaluate service providers and sellers is the Buyer - Seller Advisory section.

Both Richard Ritter and Keith at Custom Bellows UK will be mentioned favourably there.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Ken Hough might know who still does this. He used to, but I believe he's stopped doing so.
    Thank you Peter!

Thank you Len!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Woodbury View Post
    Check the focus, i.e. the glass placement. I've had several Deardorffs, 810 and 57. The glass is always off. And not even parallel. Usually sloped in one direction. As much as 0.030". That's too much.
    Eric ... That is excellent advice that I was unaware of. Thank you.

... Ed