Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 4x5 enlarger Home Made

Re: 4x5 enlarger Home Made

One additional note, on reflection, adn please forgive me if I'm telling you something you already know.

It gets harder to focus on the grain as you stop down, to 16 and smaller, especially if the grain is fine to begin with and you're expecting something larger, as Doremus indicates. I make no pretenses to expertise in optics. However, in my experience with quality enlarging lenses, the cautions from many decades ago about focus-shifts as the aperture changes have not be relevant. I focus wide-open, or (rarely) at f/4 with my 50mm 2.8, then stop down to printing aperture.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

I have trouble seeing grain on roll-film enlarged at 4x (8x10), even with a grain magnifier. With 4x5 at 2x I just don't have the vision. I usually go by edges in the image.

I think at such a modest enlargement as has been mentioned that the grain will be very difficult to discern. Just for reference you might try to frame a large enlargement and look through your focuser and see if the grain becomes sharp. If the grain is sharp at the large ratio then you can be reasonably assured that all is well and it’s just too difficult to find the grain on a small enlargement factor. I too have difficulty seeing grain on small enlargements with sheet film, it’s nothing like how grain pops into focus with 35mm film.

Is the eyepiece set properly on the Patterson Focusing aid? It adjusts by loosening the setscrew slightly, then slide the eyepiece until the line in the finder in sharp, then tighten the setscrew.
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

Yes, everything is aligned properly. I'm using a cube level to keep everything straight as I can. I do see some grain, but I had thought it was more with the other enlarger. It could be off a hair, I don't know if that makes a big difference.

I have trouble seeing grain in x-ray negatives sometimes, and just focus on an edge.

Great advice!

I primarily capture X-Ray

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Meisburger View Post
    I have trouble seeing grain in x-ray negatives sometimes, and just focus on an edge.
    Tin Can

Very stupid question, but you are putting your focus finder on a piece of paper?
    Expert in non-working solutions.

yes

A printing test run should answer most focus questions...

Grain is difficult to see when focusing LF negs even with a good magnifier, but the trick is to set magnifier on an area with a sliver of higher density that is over a thinner area and look at the contrast between them... Focus the darkest area for max contrast darkening, and note grain between dark + clearer area will pop and max visual contrast there...

The next big question will be how even will the focus be across the print and how even is the illumination from corner to corner???

Steve K