Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tele for LF landscape with background compression (8x10)

Re: Tele for LF landscape with background compression (8x10)

If you choose a telephoto lens, note that the design severely limits tilts and swings. The long lens barrel and optical design cause mechanical vignetting when the lens is rotated around the shutter (tilt or swing) which precludes using scheimpflg to control the depth of field. This may be a consideration - possibly a deal-breaker - for landscape. (Rear movements can be used but they will change image shape, and not all cameras have centre axis rear tilt or swing.)

I have a Fujinon T 400mm and a Nikkor T ED 360/500/720mm with all three rear cells, and while the lenses offer generous rise and shift (depending on focal length and format) they mechanically vignette when applying anything that approaches useful tilt.

With most of the telephoto photos I've taken the angle of view is to narrow to include close foreground. What foreground you get is distant. I'm using 8x10 lenses on a 4x5 and mostly the geometry is wrong to make Scheimpflug really useful. Using the front tilt to move the viewed image to the edge of the image circle yields a much smaller tilt angle than my 115mm Grandagon with a similar image circle.

That Fujinon T 400 is a great lens. I was looking at the Fujinon T 600 when the 600 Nikkor came up for sale.

I must say, if most advertising photos were still shot on large sheets of Ektachrome I couldn't afford the Nikkor. Film and paper are going up but I got a deal on the glass.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

I'm pretty sure that image #40 (The Ball Player)on this page: https://www.spiritsofsilver.com/gall..._and_van_dykes was taken with the 760mm Apo Nikkor on a Toyo MII camera. I focused on the eyes or nose and stopped down for the background. In the print the pitcher is sharply focused giving it a 3d effect.

Drew Wiley

I have a 760 Apo Nikkor process barrel lens. It's big and bulky and ridiculously sharp, but would require a huge no.5 shutter; yet it's not as bulky as a tele covering 8x10 would be. Enormous image circle. That's why I use a 600 Fuji C instead, which is in fact distinctly "compact" and in a more reasonable no. 3 shutter, yet also has an gigantic image circle, with ample movement potential, and plenty sharp for any reasonable usage in the field. Yeah, those have gotten expensive, and might make you think twice about using 4x5 format instead for your long lens work.

Fuji T's are decent lenses, but are not suitable for 8x10.

I have a Turner Reich triple converitable that the rear element used alone is 28", or about 710mm. Not razor sharp, more like an over-used Exacto blade. Covers 8x10 easily, but I have to bring out the Kodak 2D because my Zone VI does not quite have the bellows for it. And I have a 5x7 back for the 2D if needed. Otherwise I go with the 24" RD Artar. Long enough for 8x10.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by MAubrey View Post
    Fascinating! Thanks for the post! You do lose almost 2 stops over the 600mm f9 but it should be excellent glass.

I have 2 struts that connect between the end of the monorail and 2 of the tripod legs to minimize vibration.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    Fascinating! Thanks for the post! You do lose almost 2 stops over the 600mm f9 but it should be excellent glass.

I have 2 struts that connect between the end of the monorail and 2 of the tripod legs to minimize vibration.
    You'll also save over half the weight!

Based on most of the posts, there are a lot of good reasons not to buy a nikon T 600 f9 ED for distant landscape shots on 8x10.

The proposed alternatives are at this focal length, heavier or a lot more expensive, some of them come without shutter. Most of the inherent challenges to take a good picture remain however ( atmospherics, camera shake, bellows extension).

Cropping ( digital, reducing back or 4x5 camera) seems the sensible solution.

My remaining question about the nikon T 600 is what the main purpose of these Tele lenses was. For what kind of shots and film format are they designed? When is this the prefered lens? Probably more close up shots?

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ferson View Post
    My remaining question about the nikon T 600 is what the main purpose of these Tele lenses was. For what kind of shots and film format are they designed? When is this the prefered lens? Probably more close up shots?
    Photographer has a short camera, wants to use a long lens.