Thread: Expired TMAX 4x5 Readyloads - Worth the time?

Expired TMAX 4x5 Readyloads - Worth the time?

I'm cleaning out some things and also debating on whether to fully divest of my darkroom equipment, 4x5 camera, gear and lenses now that I haven't done any film work in some time. Until I stopped shooting 4x5 film I was developing in my JOBO CPP-2, drum scanning on a Howtek 4500, and then printing on an Epson P9000. I'm still very active on the (digital) printing side (mostly for other photographers), but just haven't been doing any film work.

I finally took stock of what film I have on the shelf and was surprised at the quantity of it. A voice in my head suggested that I should really figure out if I can (or want to try to) use any of it rather than throwing it out. So I'd be interested to know if the experts here feel there is any point in experimenting with any of the following:

70 sheets TMAX100 Readyload Single Sheet Exp. 1/2010
    40 sheets TMAX100 Readyload Single Sheet Exp. 4/2009
    38 sheets TMAX100 Readyload (Original 2-sheet packet) Exp. 2/1999

Also some other 4x5 film, not readyloads:

200 sheets TMAX400 Exp. 6/1990
    25 sheets TMAX400 Exp. 5/1994
    50 sheets Ilford FP4 Exp. 12/1995

Unfortunately, all the above have been sitting on my shelf (average 68 temp) and not in cold storage. What say ye?

Eric Woodbury

Re: Expired TMAX 4x5 Readyloads - Worth the time?

FP4 is probably fine, at least mine lasted a long time. I don't know TMAX, but 100ASA is in your favor. You'll just have to try. Little thermal fogging, but perhaps cosmic ray fogging. 400ASA will be fogged. With the cost of film and the amount you have, you should give them all a try. If the fog is more than you can take, experiment with 1% bromide solution to chemically reduce fog.

The only way to know for sure is to try some. You'll find out soon enough.

multiplex

it might be worth the time, or it might be crap, you never know until you expose and develop it
    and unfortunately if it was exposed and it didn't work out then it might have been time-wasted.
    I sometimes don't even bother developing the film (or whatever it was). what I saw or felt might have never have made it to the plate anyways ..
    don't forget to have fun!
    John
    Last edited by jnantz; 31-Mar-2024 at 03:26.

About five years ago...I was gifted an unopened box of 4x5 TMX - dated June 2015 - and two years ago finally got around to giving it a go, and its basically fine. Never cold-stored but always around 68F. So...my guess is that your 2009/2010 TMX would be pretty close to my 2015 - in other words quite useable. But maybe give it a go?

I do have some really ancient (1988) 11x14 TX which is quite foggy but still useable for certain subjects, but my experience with outdated TMY has been different - in that I'd had some stock also dated (like my TMX) 2015, but already showing noticeable fog. Based on this I'd say your 1990/1994 TMY might well be toast.

Have used TMY and TMX of the similar vintage for many years, and it’s not barely a quarter of a stop slower processed in the HC 110 dilution of your choice…

Treat it/them as new once you developed the first sheet of each batch to find out how badly fogged it might or might not be. I have found very little to no significant fogging whatsoever with these two stocks.

Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drew Wiley

Depends on the storage conditions, whether hot and humid or cool and dry. I prefer sealed frozen storage. But even the TMax 400 might still be usable. The TMax 100 single sheet sleeves are probably fine. You'd have to test these to be certain. I did that as a courtesy for someone I sold some 30 year old sheet film to; it still performed excellently.

I shot some TMX100 Readyloads recently, the packets came apart at the adhesive points. About half of it was perfect, the other half went straight into the trash. I do love using readyloads! (When it works right). Fog was not an issue. I couldn't tell if it was actually exposed or not until I developed it.

Makiflex TMX100 Kodak Readyload 545 D23 by Nokton48, on Flickr

TMAX100 4x5 Readyload 545 Back Makiflex D23. Omega DII with Omegalite laser aligned Arista RC #2 paper Multigrade dev. Digital background shot by Tim Layton and enlarged at Cosco. Studio overhead lighting. 150mm f5.6 chrome barrel Schneider Xenar. Great lens I bought for fifty bucks.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Not 4x5, so slightly different beast, but I have TMAX 400 in 120 dated 2008 that develops just fine. More appropriate, but still a different beast would be the 1983: Ektapan in 4x5, I've been shooting. Also fine.