Thread: Rebuilding my Zone VI water tempering system

Rebuilding my Zone VI water tempering system

In the late 70's, my father engineered a water panel for me using an ITT Lawler tempering system sold by Zone VI. It worked fine for years, but finally failed long after Zone VI had ceased operation. Somehow, I got the impression that ITT had gone out of business and that repair parts were not available. Now I need critical temperature control again. About a year ago, I discovered https://qualityplumbingsupply.com/, which is the best source I have found for specialty items and parts.

I was about to start construction of a new water panel with a new tempering unit when I searched their site for Lawler parts, and guess what? ITT may be out of business, but Lawler has been active all this time. https://www.temperedwater.com/

I talked to a very knowledgeable young woman, Amanda, at Quality Plumbing who helped me to select the right rebuild kit for my Zone VI unit. Now I don't have to build a new panel and save time and money for other projects. I also get to enjoy my father's work and the memories it brings back.

There may be more of these Zone VI systems around, regarded as beyond repair that could be purchased for a low price and rebuilt better than new. If you find one, call Amanda at Quality.

Re: Rebuilding my Zone VI water tempering system

That's good news. It's always a pleasure to know that quality, expensive gear can be still serviced by professionals.
    For the record, in recent decades ITT has been just a giant holding company, buying and selling companies and divisions as quarterly profits indicate. The corporation's commitment to any line of business has been ephemeral, at best.

I had a similar good experience getting replacement seals for my Watts Powers 440 Fotopanel a few years ago.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	440.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	248382

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PowersSealKit.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	248589
    Last edited by ic-racer; 3-Apr-2024 at 03:54.

There's parts for most of the classic brass thermostatic mixing valves still available. It's just getting the right person who can help find the right parts.

It's great that these can be repaired! An alternative for those who don't have one of those: an inexpensive sous vide heater and a container.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Drew Wiley

Serious water temp controllers are available from Scientific supply houses - too serious for typical darkroom budgets. Print washers aren't that fussy. I never did get around to hitching up a conventional darkroom temp valve to my washer. It's still laying around unattached.