Thread: OEM 1978 Chicago Deardorff v8 bellows repair

OEM 1978 Chicago Deardorff v8 bellows repair

I have perused the forum and read many threads about how best to repair bellows, most regarding light leak issues. I know there are many strong opinions on this topic, however, I have never come across the specific issue I am currently having with these bellows.

The problem I am having is that the seam on the bottom side of the bellows (the side closest to the view camera bed), has slowly started to lose its adhesive in an approximate two inch long section. This issue has not caused light leaks or fogged film yet, but it has the potential to if a solution isn’t applied expeditiously.

My question is quite simple, what product should be used in order to adhere external bellows material to external bellows material?

I’d like to add that I tried using Gaffers Tape (Pro Gaff) as I have to patch up light leaks on other view cameras I own, but that only further exacerbated the issue considering the Gaff tape doubled the thickness of the bellow folds, so the bellows ended up catching the bottom of the rear frame more frequently when I attempted to collapse the v8 for storage.

Finally, I know there will be those out there whose sole advice will be to replace the OEM bellows. I do already have a replacement bellows from Keith of Custom Bellows UK, however, I would like to postpone replacing the OEM bellows for as long as possible.

Pictures have been uploaded to this post for reference.

Thanking you all in advance for your timely advice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2196.jpg   IMG_2205.jpg  

Re: OEM 1978 Chicago Deardorff v8 bellows repair

A contact cement or even shoe goo might be more effective at repairing a bellows like that. You'd probably have to remove the bellows to do it properly though and at that point just put the new ones in...

Quote Originally Posted by domaz View Post
    A contact cement or even shoe goo might be more effective at repairing a bellows like that. You'd probably have to remove the bellows to do it properly though and at that point just put the new ones in...
    +1 There is a product that I used on my hiking boots which is easy to use, strong and flexible called “Boot Fix Glue”. I wouldn’t hesitate to use it on my bellows if they looked like yours and I had a replacement in the wings just in case.

Buy new bellows from ONLY

http://www.custombellows.co.uk/
    Tin Can

Pliobond is a traditional choice.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Just change out the old bellows for your "new" and rest assured your old won't eventually give you "surprises" someday... Save the old in case of surprise damage to the new... Then you can try repair the old with contact cement, patches, whatever it needs...

Old will need replacement eventually, so why not start process sooner???

Steve K

Thank you all for your suggestions. I sent a personal email to Ken Hough, “The Deardorff Guy,” and he confirmed that my bellows were made of Naugahyde, which is a compounded Polyvinyl Chloride plastic film with a laminated textile fabric which sometimes includes polyurethane foam.

As Peter intimated, Ken mentioned that Naugahyde bellows were glued together via Pliobond 20. Additionally, he said that Naugahyde material was notorious for losing its adhesive properties and would fall apart often, and was therefore the worst bellows material Deardorff employed. He suggested using acetone to wipe away any remnants of the old Pliobond prior to reapplication.

I looked into Shoe Goo and Boot Fix Glue. There is a product in today’s market that was not around back in 1978. It is made by the same company that makes Shoe Goo (Eclectic Products) and is called E6000 Premium and can be bought in 4 miniature 0.18fl. Oz. w/ tapered nozzles at Michael’s or Joann’s Fabric. The E6000 Proprietary formula is specialized to work best on all types of plastic material, including but not limited to PVC, ABS, acrylics, Polysterene, Polyurethane, etc. I may give this a go and see if it works better than the traditional application of tan Pliobond.

Zachary F. Brock

I also have 2 Naugahyde bellows

One is DD 10X10 Studio with front and rear tilts and swings

Adjustable from rear
    My 11X14 Copy camera is very stout with far heavier bellows

many here told me to throw it away

Very glad I don't listen

It is perfect for copies up or down
    Tin Can

Drew Wiley

Classic ole Barge Cement was the predominant shoe repair shop glue for a long time; now there are various alternatives, including Pliobond. But many glues won't remain elastic. And the sad thing about Naugahyde is that glue is mainly applied to the weakest part of the laminate. Naugas are also an endangered species of synthetic antelope, needlessly killed off just for their hides. If this thread were open to a vote, I'd give my vote to replacing the whole thing with something better from Custom Bellows; he's reasonably priced and quick.

OP already has a replacement bellows, they just don't want to use them. Kind of like when you have a pair of tired old boots you just can't let go off.