Thread: Wet Plate

Wet Plate

I was thinking of shooting a few wet plates eventually with my 4x5. I see you can buy them precut and ready to shoot on etsy, the zebra kind. I just have a few questions: I see most people indicate you need a dedicated glass adapter for it. I just have regular 4x5 sheet film holders, the old wood kind. Also, can you use a safe light when developing in the darkroom? I already saw a video on it, but I would not be making my own wet plates, just developing. What ISO are they around?

Re: Wet Plate

Quote Originally Posted by Csholl View Post
    I was thinking of shooting a few wet plates eventually with my 4x5. I see you can buy them precut and ready to shoot on etsy, the zebra kind. I just have a few questions: I see most people indicate you need a dedicated glass adapter for it. I just have regular 4x5 sheet film holders, the old wood kind. Also, can you use a safe light when developing in the darkroom? I already saw a video on it, but I would not be making my own wet plates, just developing. What ISO are they around?
    1) Most people start with black Trophy Plate, which I assume is what Nejc at Zebra sells. So does Bostick and Sullivan, and UV Photographics. 4x5 is a common size.
    2) You do need a special plate holder. (Or this one)A typical 4x5 film holder is not the right thing.
    3) You can use a safelight, certainly. The plain red kind is best. I use several deep red LEDs and they are VERY bright and they are perfectly safe for wet plate work.
    4) Collodion is typically rated at about 1 ASA. But don't get it in your head that you can easily measure light with a standard meter, since Collodion is mainly sensitive to UV light, which meters don't measure. Trial and error is your best friend.

I think you are talking about pre-coated dry plates, not wet plates.

Yes, I see that the plates at Zebra are dry plates, not wet. I was going to make my own film holder with some craft wood and measure up to the plane of the film holders I have now. I don't see why that would be any different, providing I make it light tight. Do you have any recommendations than if I don't need a dedicated or typical 4x5. its about 6mm thick, the dry plates.

Unless you are really set on making one, dry plate holders are much cheaper than wet…and it would save a lot of trouble in my view. There is one for $20 plus shipping here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/29614508122...Bk9SR-b0yZfJYw

Quote Originally Posted by Csholl View Post
    Yes, I see that the plates at Zebra are dry plates, not wet. I was going to make my own film holder with some craft wood and measure up to the plane of the film holders I have now. I don't see why that would be any different, providing I make it light tight. Do you have any recommendations than if I don't need a dedicated or typical 4x5. its about 6mm thick, the dry plates.
    I see. So you're not talking about Wet Plate at all. Buy a 4x5 plate holder off fleabay, don't try to make one yourself. You don't need an expensive wet plate holder.

Thickness of the plate doesn't matter, as long as it fits the holder, as the emulsion side of the plate faces towards the lens. 4x5 plate holders are relatively easy to find. Many have been converted to film holders by the insertion of a metal sleeve where the plate fits. While these work, they don't place the film emulsion in exactly the same plane as a modern holder, so are not popular, and so are cheap. Just pop out the sleeve, and you are ready to go.

If you're shooting at home or otherwise have ready access to your darkroom, I'd recommend an old pack film holder with something behind it to hold the plate in place.

You can also buy 3D printed plate holders for not too much money.

The pack film holder is a great way to go, buy a (graflex model 1234) about $20.00 on ebay. I have used many. Conversion is easy or buy the 3d kit for extra money.
    Also if only doing dry plate buy an antique glass plate holder.