Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Camera for Africa trip

Re: Camera for Africa trip

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    If you need some telephoto reach for wildlife, a basic Pentax 6x7 SLR system is something already having high repute in Africa photography. I often travel with one of those for tripod or otherwise supported tele work, along with a Fuji 6X9 rangefinder with a 90mm lens for quicker handheld or tripod wider angle shots. Both can be had for less than the cost of a Mamiya 7, which has a far more limited selection of focal lengths than a P67, but would be a much lighter weight more compact package.
    Pulling out the Pentax 6x7 600mm on an African Safari jeep sure would be .. something.

Quote Originally Posted by angusparker View Post
    Can’t say good enough things about this camera, also called the Texas Leica! I have the Mark III version along with the GSW690 a wider companion fixed lens camera. The only downsides are that it is fully manual (no built in meter) so you need a separate meter, and the rangefinder patch isn’t super big or bright but it will suffice. The modern update, the Fujifilm GF670 with built in meter and improved rangefinder is a step up but even second hand its 2 or 3 times the cost of the GW690, plus I much prefer the 6x9 format over 6x7 since you have more optionality even if you burn up more film as a consequence.
    Thanks Angus. My understanding is that the 90mm on 6x9 is the equivalent of a 35mm lens in 35mm, and I spent some time in the mid-nineties wandering around central Africa with an Olympus XA with a 35mm lens, so I'm sure it will seem familiar. Almost the same...

Tim,

since it's not a photo safari, and you're there for other reasons, the time and opportunity for photography may be limited. I don't know what you typically like to shoot, or if you prefer color or B&W, but I would suggest that something light, easy to handle, robust, and minimal would be a good option. If you are going around with your son there will probably be ample opportunities for portraits, if you visit some of the sights you'll probably want to capture some landscapes.

I agree with you that 35mm just doesn't cut it, medium format would be a minimum, and MF isn't too far off from 4x5 in quality to be honest, but a lot easier to handle, buy, develop, with many more frames on a roll than single 4x5 sheets. Unless you are very familiar and adept with the cameras you mention, they might prove to be a bit fiddly in the field and more work than you want. Which is why MF seems like a good choice. Since the goal of your trip is to visit family, it might make more sense to consider any photo opportunities as more opportunistic events and bring gear that allows you to be quick, unobtrusive and spontaneous.

For portraiture and similar, a Rolleiflex TLR is brilliant and bulletproof, with a fantastic Schneider or Zeiss lens (75mm or 80mm typically), 6x6. No batteries needed, but you will need a meter. I have one as my minimalist travel camera, usually loaded with B&W, but I've used it for color as well. Fits into a very small bag with meter, extra film, and a few filters.

If you want something more versatile, there's the Fuji 6x7 and 6x9 rangefinders. GF670, very compact, quiet, built in meter, but needs batteries, or the GW690 which is entirely manual. Tending to go against the grain somewhat, when I'm able to bring more than my twin lens Rollei on a trip, I have a Rollei 6008 kit with multiple lenses that I manage to mash into a bag no larger than most casual DSLR shooters. A wide angle, macro and sometimes tele all fit, with an extra magazine. Have to carry the charger separately.

Since you have some time, talk with your son and plan some of the things you'd like to do, as well as what you'd like to shoot if given the opportunity, and plan accordingly.

Oh, one other thing I tend to do where possible is develop my film locally. Modern airport X-ray machines can ruin your film. Not every place will do a manual hand check for you. It is a lot easier to find places to develop 120 film than 4x5. Last trip I took I shot Portra and Provia, developed all my rolls at a local lab before getting on the plane back.

Hope this helps. Sounds like you're in for an amazing trip!

Quote Originally Posted by 6x6TLL View Post
    Tim,

since it's not a photo safari, and you're there for other reasons, the time and opportunity for photography may be limited. I don't know what you typically like to shoot, or if you prefer color or B&W, but I would suggest that something light, easy to handle, robust, and minimal would be a good option. If you are going around with your son there will probably be ample opportunities for portraits, if you visit some of the sights you'll probably want to capture some landscapes.

I agree with you that 35mm just doesn't cut it, medium format would be a minimum, and MF isn't too far off from 4x5 in quality to be honest, but a lot easier to handle, buy, develop, with many more frames on a roll than single 4x5 sheets. Unless you are very familiar and adept with the cameras you mention, they might prove to be a bit fiddly in the field and more work than you want. Which is why MF seems like a good choice. Since the goal of your trip is to visit family, it might make more sense to consider any photo opportunities as more opportunistic events and bring gear that allows you to be quick, unobtrusive and spontaneous.

For portraiture and similar, a Rolleiflex TLR is brilliant and bulletproof, with a fantastic Schneider or Zeiss lens (75mm or 80mm typically), 6x6. No batteries needed, but you will need a meter. I have one as my minimalist travel camera, usually loaded with B&W, but I've used it for color as well. Fits into a very small bag with meter, extra film, and a few filters.

If you want something more versatile, there's the Fuji 6x7 and 6x9 rangefinders. GF670, very compact, quiet, built in meter, but needs batteries, or the GW690 which is entirely manual. Tending to go against the grain somewhat, when I'm able to bring more than my twin lens Rollei on a trip, I have a Rollei 6008 kit with multiple lenses that I manage to mash into a bag no larger than most casual DSLR shooters. A wide angle, macro and sometimes tele all fit, with an extra magazine. Have to carry the charger separately.

Since you have some time, talk with your son and plan some of the things you'd like to do, as well as what you'd like to shoot if given the opportunity, and plan accordingly.

Oh, one other thing I tend to do where possible is develop my film locally. Modern airport X-ray machines can ruin your film. Not every place will do a manual hand check for you. It is a lot easier to find places to develop 120 film than 4x5. Last trip I took I shot Portra and Provia, developed all my rolls at a local lab before getting on the plane back.

Hope this helps. Sounds like you're in for an amazing trip!
    Thanks. That sounds like good advice. I do plan to take stuff so I can develop black and white, and may try to have the color developed locally or ship it home, as I too have had bad experiences travelling with exposed film. Luckily, if I do travel with MF, its a lot easier to avoid agents unspooling rolls than it is opening boxes of sheet film, which happened to me last week. Film was double bagged, so turned out okay, but I was having palpitations...

I would also consider taking my Zeiss Super Ikonta (6x9) for its larger negative. Gets even closer to 4x5 but with the ease of use that 120 roll film offers.

If developing my film as I travel isn’t an option, I’d mail it home, not carry it with me through customs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Meisburger View Post
    Thanks Angus. My understanding is that the 90mm on 6x9 is the equivalent of a 35mm lens in 35mm, and I spent some time in the mid-nineties wandering around central Africa with an Olympus XA with a 35mm lens, so I'm sure it will seem familiar. Almost the same...
    Pretty close. The 90mm in 6x9 is more like a 40mm in 35mm, and the wider version at 65mm in 6x9 is more like a 28mm in 35mm. I think 40mm equivalents are the sweet spot for a single lens setup. “Normal” enough so distortion doesn’t set in, but slightly wide so you can take most shots. Hence, the 90mm version is my go to camera. But you can take both around with you - they are a bit chunky but not super heavy.

Drew Wiley

One problem with the earlier Fuji interchangeable lens RF's is that it's now difficult to find most of the lenses, and when you do, they're expensive. Furthermore, the system is quite heavy compared to their later fixed lens 6X7, 6X8, and 6X9 RF's. You might as well go with a Pentax 6X7 instead, which is more modern, and everything needed is still abundant. As per 6x6 models, it's no better than 645 if you want a rectangular image.

The rangefinder focus on the GS690ii, iii, etc series etc isn't super bright, but has been adequate for everything I've ever needed to do with it, including dim evening light. If you need to critical focus it in especially problematic light, the eyepiece magnifier for the Nikon F series will thread right in. You can get used Fuji RF's affordably enough not to have a nervous breakdown if one gets lost or stolen, and they're surprisingly durable, even in bad weather. I highly recommend them for travel. An excellent lens.

None of these are a substitute for what a view camera can do, but only do quite a bit slower, and nearly always dependent on a tripod all the time. Roll film backs do save quite a bit of bulk, weight, and loading fuss, but aren't that quick to actually shoot. And they're fussier to focus accurately than the conventional 4X5 sheet film size image, at least until you're thoroughly used to them. As far as press cameras go, even a roll film version is not going to operate as quickly or spontaneously as a dedicated MF camera. They're also going to be bulkier.

Drew Wiley

domaz - at least if you did pull out a P67 600mm lens, any rhino would be afraid to charge. It's as big as a cannon. My longest lens is the wonderful 300mm EDIF, and it's too much to realistically handhold either. I actually use my 8x10 tripods for it. But if you're talking about a 165 mm tele, or possibly 200mm, careful handheld shots are possible with fast film.

It all depends on one's working style. I run into quite a few pro bird and wildlife photographers here on the coast, and I can't compete with their fast DLSR zoom lens techniques. But when I do bag a wildlife shot with the 6X7, it's in a whole different league when it comes to print quality. But that's just an opportunistic option for me. Normally I shoot stationary subjects. And I always travel with a suitable tripod.

Nick Brandt did amazing black and white African wildlife photos with a P67 and just a normal focal length lens, or even a wide angle one; but that required tremendous patience to get up that close. But if it's spontaneous ethnic or street photography, the Fuji RF makes a lot more sense.

When I go on vacation, I always (try) take the Fujifilm GA645Zi and the GW690III with me. Both compact and the 645 is perfect for city images.

On my first African trip way back when, I had 4 film cameras. Primary were 2 Nikons (never travel without a backup! and shooting frame 36 on one is always seconds before a decisive moment!) and assorted lenses. Also along was a Pentacon 6 (primarily because I was picking up a beautiful 500 f/4 in London on the way over and secondarily because I had an adapter to use it on my Nikons). Plan B was invoked when the Pentacon lost a battle with a concrete road. Finally there was a Fuji 645 with a 65. Super light, easy handling, and with 7 more shots per roll than the 6x6. I much more enjoy working with 645 than 35 in the darkroom. I have a Fuji 690 with interchangeable lenses but the camera and and its 3 lenses weighs more than a 4x5 with 3 lenses. I also have a Travelwide with the 90 and with a couple of 10 shot Kinematics and I have traveled overseas with it. At least if you take a 4x5 that requires a tripod and an extra bag with bits and pieces you will have (bored) family with you to keep eyes on everything while you are setting a shot up. I'm sure you are aware that some places in Africa have a marvelous ability to grow legs on anything. And finally, the airport x-ray machines in use these days will absolutely shred film and all it takes is one refusal to inspect overseas and you are slap out of luck. Have fun.