Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Camera for Africa trip

Re: Camera for Africa trip

Well, I'm sure my wife will take either a digital SLR, or her old OM4, and I bought my daughter a Rollei 35, so that kind of stuff is covered. I have tons of good wildlife pics from the 80s in 35mm already, and probably don't need more! But your comment is useful, because it help me think about what I really want, and my favorite photos from back then are portraits and domestic scenes. The development of those is often lacking, due to the lower quality of local 35mm development in those days (hot weather and exhausted developer), so I would like some good negatives to print at home. So, 6x9, some Velvia 50, some black and white, some filters, sounds like it could work. No movements, but a lot easier and faster than a view camera, and much closer to how I shot 35mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Meisburger View Post
    Anyone have experience with the Fuji GW690? Its 6x9 and has (I think) a fixed 90mm lens. I assume that is a normal lens for 6x9? Seems like something like that would give me some good negative, and decomplicate my life.
    That's an excellent choice. I have used them for years. I had the early Model IIIs and they developed cracks in the plastic bodies. I replaced them with the all metal Model IIs and have been very happy with them. Looks like the cracking problem has been solved on later IIIs but be careful.

Excellent cameras. I've used them all from the interchangeable lens models to the 6x7,6x8,6x9 both 90mm & 65. Sharp lenses and reliable cameras.

I have 2 Fuji GSW690iii's. Outstanding camera's and no electronics!

Will you be needing a telephoto for the Ostrich shot?

I worry about transporting sheet film. If at an airport someone insists on opening it up to check it, that's it for the film. For medium format a lighter camera like Plaubel Makina, Mamiya 7 or Bronica RF645 are good travel choices.

Also at the risk of being excommunicated I might suggest taking a small "Bridge" digital camera that has Image stabilization and the ability to zoom way in for Wildlife shots and a smaller Medium Format film camera for landscapes and other shots. If you don't care about wildlife shots a film camera is all you need.

I don’t shoot large format just for the larger negative. Regardless of the “negatives” people typically note, if you shoot large format for the experience then take that. For me it’s become a dedication to the craft, a way of life. Look at all the images that were taken back when photography was in its infancy, amazing images with very demanding conditions and equipment.
    “With great film size comes great responsibility”
    www.formlevelphoto.com

Interesting. All medium format recommendations. I'll have to think about options, but I do know I will not be taking a Hasselblad! Maybe something Soviet...
    If you have a reliable soviet camera that could be an option. But taking a camera, a manual, a box of tools and spare parts might be spoiling the mood from time to time.

Anyone have experience with the Fuji GW690? Its 6x9 and has (I think) a fixed 90mm lens. I assume that is a normal lens for 6x9? Seems like something like that would give me some good negative, and decomplicate my life.
    Not that one, but I do have a G690BL and the negatives are great. Also a selection of focal lenghts. On the other hand, my obturation curtain for the lens change is not reliable so I would not take mine along such a trip.

Just make sure that the rest of the family let you come along the next time
    Expert in non-working solutions.

Interesting. All medium format recommendations. I'll have to think about options, but I do know I will not be taking a Hasselblad! Maybe something Soviet...
    If you can find a good condition, folding rangefinder Moskva 5 you could have 6x6 and 6x9 with a 105mm lens. Fairly compact, but the 6x6 mask might be inconvenient to haul around in case you wanted to change format. Shutter speeds are limited to 1/250th in the upper range, but depending on the film you will be shooting, it may not be a problem.

As suggested, I would complement it with a compact, high-res digital camera for backup.

Sometimes suspenders and a belt make sense...
    Kino
    We never have time to do it right, but we always seem to have time to do it again...