Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Camera for Africa trip

Camera for Africa trip

I will visit my son in southern Africa next September, and am struggling to figure out what camera to take. My wife and daughter will be with me, so I am unlikely to have loads of time to set up and take shots (its not a photo trip). I was a Peace Corps volunteer there in the 80s, and shot a lot of 35mm, but I'm really not satisfied with little negatives anymore. I thought about medium format, and that is still an option, I guess, but I would love to get some of those landscapes and portraits in 4x5. I just had a conference near LA, and took a couple extra days for a trip to Joshua Tree with only my old Travelwide. I took some shots handheld and some off a tripod, and while that seems like it could work, I didn't really like being limited to a 90mm. (I have not developed the shots yet, as I will not be home till tomorrow night.)

I could just take my Ikeda Anba. Its super light, but also a bit fragile, and I like it enough that I don't want to risk it in an environment where I could get robbed easily. I'm thinking if I take something it needs to be relatively rugged and something I will not cry to much about if it gets lost. So, a rangefinder might make sense. A Wista would be rugged, and quick to deploy, and can be had for around $400 without a rangefinder. I was also thinking about a Busch Pressman, as I've seen them for less than $200. Then I could take a relatively cheap 90mm for landscapes, and a 150mm for general and portraits with the rangefinder. Well, I'm rambling. If you have any thoughts, please share them.

Re: Camera for Africa trip

A TLR, with a fixed or perhaps with interchangeable lens?
    Relatively compact, fairly inexpensive and less conspicuous.

I would choose one of my TLRs, not large format for travel. Or maybe the Hasselblad, if I decided I didn't want the twin lens business. My Autocord delivers exceptional results when using modern films like Ilford Delta.

It depends on your expectations for the images as well as the time factors you stated. I was stuck with this same issue recently (hiking with friends in a National Park) and ended up taking a (gasp) Hasselblad X2D with a few lenses and shot digital 100mp images. I have always shot 4x5 and 8x10 as well as some 6x17 but during out last trip, it became clear that even with my 617, people got bored waiting for me to set up and change film, etc. Medium format would have been my next option.

6x9 would be my choice. If I look at my negatives then I'm more then satisfied with those. Also easier to travel with an more types of film available.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

Interesting. All medium format recommendations. I'll have to think about options, but I do know I will not be taking a Hasselblad! Maybe something Soviet...

Nicholas O. Lindan

How about a Speed/Crown graphic. It appears to tick all your boxes.
    Darkroom Automation / Cleveland Engineering Design, LLC
    f-Stop Timers & Enlarging meters http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

I do have a Busch Pressman C that might work, but I guess I would then need to find a small Adapt-a-Roll film holder, and could only find 4x5 holders on the bay. If I took that I could also take some sheet film and use as a view camera when time permits?

Anyone have experience with the Fuji GW690? Its 6x9 and has (I think) a fixed 90mm lens. I assume that is a normal lens for 6x9? Seems like something like that would give me some good negative, and decomplicate my life.

At the risk of being excommunicated, take a digital camera. Low light and the chance to take pictures of animals you don't usually see would outweigh the enjoyment of large format. If you also want to shoot film, pick your favorite medium format and use it for people and landscapes.