Thread: Safe Light

Foamer

Safe Light

I finally have my enlarger cleaned up, added new Rodagon lens, and have everything I need to make prints. I have a small domed Patterson red safe light I was using for wet plate and was wondering if it's OK to use instead of yellow for printing? I'm using Ilford multigrade RC deluxe paper.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Re: Safe Light

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    I finally have my enlarger cleaned up, added new Rodagon lens, and have everything I need to make prints. I have a small domed Patterson red safe light I was using for wet plate and was wondering if it's OK to use instead of yellow for printing? I'm using Ilford multigrade RC deluxe paper.

Kent in SD
    It is definitely OK. It is suitable to all BW papers according to the specifications given by Paterson. You will lose the ability to judge the contrast under safelight, because the prints will appear as darker with more contrast. But hey you are supposed to check the proof prints under normal light anyway. Some papers are sensitive to light well above 600 nm, so red is the only light possible to use. Foma Variant papers for example.

It is always wise to run your own tests with safelights. If everything is fine, great; it a hint of fogging occurs, adjustments need to be made. I say this because I also prefer amber yellow) light for printing, but, although the Kodak OC filters can be used, the light has to be MUCH dimmer than Ilford papers will accept.

There are numerous sources for proper a testing routine. Note that you need to create a sub-threshold exposure with the enlarger on part of the paper your testing in order for a proper test.

https://www.kodak.com/content/produc...nation-K-4.pdf

Ilford has a page as well, but their site won't come up right now.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

I've been using dark red safe lights for over 60 years now. It allows me to use ortho materials as well.
    Rick Allen

Argentum Aevum

practicing Pastafarian

i use the orange arista? one from freestyle. I keep it on an extension cord. i figure its about 8 feet from the enlarger, and i do as foma folks said to do, point my enlarging paper at the light to check for the "sparkles/shine" on the emulsion side. SO far no issue

have used foma and ilford papers.

Some Foma papers (e.g., Fomabrom 111) need a red safelight; the amber ones (OC filter) fog them fairly rapidly.

Using a red filter instead of an amber filter is fine; it's the shorter wavelengths that the paper is sensitive to (i.e., the other end of the spectrum from red on the other side of amber).

It's worth getting a good-quality safelight. Those little domes are weak and not really well-filtered. Do do the Kodak safelight test Ulophot links to above.

Doremus

I have four of the Orange Pattersons, strategically placed around my smaller room with the enlargers. My go-to's for many decades. No fog ever with Arista #2 RC which might be Ilford?? I have Double Safe Jason Lane Safelights (two of them), one for film cutting/loading holders, and another, for developing Ortho films. Super deep red. Double safe. Never had fog with any of these. Film developing times by inspection up to 30 minutes with Ilford Ortho: not a bit of fog ever.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Foamer

I usually either make the safelight indirect by placing it in the sink so it does not directly shine on what I'm working on, or place it ~5 or 6 feet away. In the past I've only needed a safelight for processing wet/dry plate.

Thanks
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!