Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why TF-5 Fixer??

Why TF-5 Fixer??

Just to give it context, I've been using Kodak Rapid Fixer for at least 50 years. I mix up a gallon, use it and use it with no regard to capacities. At some point after about 6 to 9 months it goes bad (little white flakes) and I dump it and make up a new batch. After my recent issues with the 'No-Promise' Kodak version and its short (NOT "indefinite") shelf life, I thought I'd try TF-5.

I mixed a gallon of it 36 days ago. I've used it a few times, with no complaints other than it not seeming particularly rapid with Tmax films. I've used a very, very weak acid stop bath which per the manufacturer should be OK. So today I'm developing film and I find my gallon of it filled with little white flakes -- hundreds of them. Filtered yes, it still works. But it stinks like ammonia.

So why do you folks like this stuff? It seems extremely uneconomical given the short life span. I'm on septic now since the move, so I try to keep the liquid waste I have to transport for disposal down to a minimum. A gallon of bad fixer a month is another issue.

Re: Why TF-5 Fixer??

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Crisp View Post
    Just to give it context, I've been using Kodak Rapid Fixer for at least 50 years. I mix up a gallon, use it and use it with no regard to capacities. At some point after about 6 to 9 months it goes bad (little white flakes) and I dump it and make up a new batch. After my recent issues with the 'No-Promise' Kodak version and its short (NOT "indefinite") shelf life, I thought I'd try TF-5.

I mixed a gallon of it 36 days ago. I've used it a few times, with no complaints other than it not seeming particularly rapid with Tmax films. I've used a very, very weak acid stop bath which per the manufacturer should be OK. So today I'm developing film and I find my gallon of it filled with little white flakes -- hundreds of them. Filtered yes, it still works. But it stinks like ammonia.

So why do you folks like this stuff? It seems extremely uneconomical given the short life span. I'm on septic now since the move, so I try to keep the liquid waste I have to transport for disposal down to a minimum. A gallon of bad fixer a month is another issue.
    There’s no major reason to use TF-5 over standard rapid fixers such as Kodak, Ilford etc. The advantages of a neutral pH rapid fixer (Ilford and Kodak are mildly acidic) such as TF-5 are longer shelf life and potentially slightly-to-somewhat faster washing but that’s about all.

When a rapid fixer smells like ammonia it is typically a sign it has become alkaline. If this has happened to your TF-5 working solution it is most likely due to developer carryover. This can happen if a stop bath doesn’t have enough acidity or is omitted. The instructions for the formulary product are somewhat misleading/incorrect (TF-5’s primary formulator didn’t write them). TF-5 is buffered to work with standard acid stop baths and there is no reason at all to weaken them.

Fundamentally all commercially available rapid fixers work the same way so nothing fancy is required. Incidentally if you are willing to try the Kodak-branded product again Sino Promise is no longer involved and the B&W chemicals have been “re-launched” by Photo Systems Inc.

I'll try again. But according to the manufacturer of the TF-5, it doesn't have a particularly long shelf life unopened. Whereas the Kodak product (when manufactured correctly and not cooked in transport) is/was claimed to be indefinite and has lasted 4+ years for me in the past. The TF-5 has a definite slimy feel to it, which I associate with basses.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Crisp View Post
    I'll try again. But according to the manufacturer of the TF-5, it doesn't have a particularly long shelf life unopened. Whereas the Kodak product (when manufactured correctly and not cooked in transport) is/was claimed to be indefinite and has lasted 4+ years for me in the past. The TF-5 has a definite slimy feel to it, which I associate with basses.
    Yeah the slippery feel (vs squeaky) combined with the ammonia odour mean it has become alkaline. The pH of TF-5 should normally be around 6.5 and it should have low odour.

All other things being equal, it would be strange for Kodak or Ilford Rapid fixers unopened to have longer shelf lives than TF-5. It should be the reverse as acidic fixers sulfurize over time even if the bottle is sealed.

Well, Photographer's Formulary says the TF-5 stock solution can be stored for a year. The official Kodak information for Rapid Fixer is/was "indefinitely." Since I have three more bottles of the TF-5, I'll mix up another and use a more robust acid fixer.

Drew Wiley

TF5 is not odorless; it still has a tiny bit of ammonia smell, but certainly not as much as TF4. I buy about 6 months worth of these at a time (formerly TF4, now TF5), and use it for both film and paper. I wouldn't be worried at all about them being on hand a for a year before use. The problem is that they're sometimes sold through retail outlets might not turn over the inventory quickly.

I haven't experienced any "slippery" feel with either, whatever that means. Much less am I worried about any minor pH shift, which if anything, would be slightly acidic due to the stop bath prior.

The stop bath doesn't need to be strong at all, unless perhaps, people are reusing it over multiple sessions like dirty dishwater, which is certainly not my style!

Picking up film out of the fixer tray was like handling film with a good coating of dishwasher soap on your hands. That's what I mean by slippery.

TF-4 is distinctly alkaline. TF-5 is just very slightly alkaline. I use TF-5 for most film and printing-out paper work, but I used TF-4 for the alt processes, like Salted Paper printing. I could easily use TF-5 for alt process work as well, as both of these formulas are far less likely to bleach the print (salted paper, Kallitype, etc) than standard Ilford Rapid fixers.

I buy both in gallon jugs of concentrate and they don't always get used within a year, and yet I have had no trouble whatsoever with either failing in any way.
    Last edited by paulbarden; 9-Mar-2024 at 22:09.

TF-4 is alkaline. TF-5 is neutral (actually slightly acidic, as are most neutral fixers).

They’re fine, just not necessary. The pyro stain business is nonsense. That’s just Troop/Cookbook marketing. Even Hutchings with all his over-the-top pyro verbiage used an old acidic Kodak fixer formula.

Almost no odor

Lasts long

Must use distiled water

Buy only Photographgy Formululary

They ONLY HAVE SECRET

NOT KIDDING
    Tin Can