Thread: Dry plate development

Dry plate development

So I’m new with dry plates.
    I’m having a lot of problems with my dry plate development.

My first try the images where underexposed, but that was my own fault, exposed at iso 6 instead of 2.

So yesterday a new try, Found a nice composition, took one Ortho 80. Came out perfect.
    After taking a reading for the Ortho, I changed the iso from iso 80 to iso 2, and exposed two plates. For the second plate I added extra exposure.

Development in an SP445 tank, with HTC110, 1:31, 20 degrees and 5 min.
    But the plates ( I developed them separated !) are ‘black’ but you can see a light positive image on it, so i’m now quite confused.
    I’m doing something wrong but have no idea.

Re: Dry plate development

Pull a darkslide out at time intervals
    Tin Can

If you're using Zebra Dry plates, I personally found HC-110 to be much too aggressive and my first plates were nearly black, too. I finally settled on Thornton's Two-Bath or 510-Pyro at 1:150. If your scenes reveal a lot of sky, that area will be quite dark. I always had good luck with HC-110 for J Lane plates.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post
    If you're using Zebra Dry plates, I personally found HC-110 to be much too aggressive and my first plates were nearly black, too. I finally settled on Thornton's Two-Bath or 510-Pyro at 1:150. If your scenes reveal a lot of sky, that area will be quite dark. I always had good luck with HC-110 for J Lane plates.
    Alan, Yes they are Zebra Dry plates. it’s much cheaper to by them here in Europe and supporting a young enterpreneur who is still in old techniecs.
    HC-110 is advised by him so that’s why I used it. I not quite sure If can find 510-Pyro over here.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Pull a darkslide out at time intervals
    I agree with the test strip, but it might be easier ( not chance of camera movement ) using the dark slide in front of the lens….
    I can’t really comment on the developer ( or zebra plates cause I haven't used it )
    but it’s basically paper emulsion on glass instead of paper so contrasty scenes (not open shade ) always prove to be difficult unless you make believe you are in your darkroom making a problematic-print and do similar moves but with your camera.. like flashing the plate like you would a hot print and using a method to even out the tonality … I've never used HC but mostly just stock print developer, and for a while now I have resorted to 2 baths one is caffenol to slowly develop the mid tones and the other Is caffenol spiked with your favorite print developer ( a splash ) to develop the contrast ... first the one with the print developer, when the image appears in the veil then into the caffenol ... I've also done this with dektol ( and ansco 130 ) one bath being spent and the other one being less spent works like a charm doing 2 bath development .. just have to be careful, dry plates can be fragile
    Have fun with your glass images !
    Last edited by jnantz; 6-Mar-2024 at 15:42. Reason: not on a phone anymore was able to fix

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickMarq View Post
    Alan, Yes they are Zebra Dry plates. it’s much cheaper to by them here in Europe and supporting a young enterpreneur who is still in old techniecs.
    HC-110 is advised by him so that’s why I used it. I not quite sure If can find 510-Pyro over here.
    If you review his technical tips page on his website, you'll find that 510-Pyro is the first developer listed; and, I believe, they're listed in order of preference. On your side of the pond, Zone Imaging sells it as well as other dealers in the UK. Personally, it took me quite a bit of playing around with different developer formulas, dilutions, and agitation styles to arrive at something that worked for me with Zebra Dry Plates. Since he is literally the only one in the world coating these plates for commercial resale, I had to figure it out because I love shooting plates.

If you review his technical tips page on his website, you'll find that 510-Pyro is the first developer listed; and, I believe, they're listed in order of preference. On your side of the pond, Zone Imaging sells it as well as other dealers in the UK. Personally, it took me quite a bit of playing around with different developer formulas, dilutions, and agitation styles to arrive at something that worked for me with Zebra Dry Plates. Since he is literally the only one in the world coating these plates for commercial resale, I had to figure it out because I love shooting plates.
    Allan,
    Some feedback: I found some 510-pyro and at first look, two new developments looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickMarq View Post
    Allan,
    Some feedback: I found some 510-pyro and at first look, two new developments looks great.
    Great news indeed! Enjoy shooting those dry plates...it's a lot of fun!

Great news indeed! Enjoy shooting those dry plates...it's a lot of fun!
    It’s now a lot of fun, before lot off stress.
    Now it’s time to buy one or two extra holders and a box(es) for storage.